Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better off getting one bulk snowboard lesson?

Options
  • 22-10-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Hey Guy,

Going to Oberstdorf in January and wondering would we be better off getting one bulk lesson (4hrs) or a few day lessons when trying to learn skiing/snowboarding?

Leaning to the fact of getting the a lesson a day, then practice to get better and another the next day etc.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

You might learn less than you'd expect in a 4hr lesson - particularly boarding...

If ye are complete beginners I would suggest maybe also having a look on YouTube to at least have an idea of the basic techniques involved before ye start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

I'd recommend doing the group lessons, that's what I done the first time boarding and will probably do intermediate lessons this year, it's good craic when your in a group. The lessons usually run for 4 hours in the morning Monday to Friday. When you going to Oberstorf?, I'm going myself in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Were you there before? Just booked this evening:D, going from the 9th-16th, how about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

I'm going the 16th to 23rd, haven't been before, looks like a nice place, cant wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

getting one long lesson is good
    however yo need constant reminders when starting out
    therefore i'd go with a 4-hr on day one
    work on technique and then get a refresher hour or two on day 3
    definately you need at least 2 different sessions with ample time between to work on stuff learnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

Hey mate,

Im a Snowboard Instructor with ES Ride in Zermatt and I would say go for the 3 or 4 hour private lesson if you can. If you go with a group it can be really hit and miss. You could be lucky and have a strong group or you could be less lucky and have a group of 10 who are all quite slow learners.

Snowboarding is tough at the start so be patient and dont give up. Keep working on using your feet for balance as opposed to the bigger body parts like your shoulders, back and arse. Once you can isolate your ankle movements and be subtle with them it makes a massive difference to the overall experience.

It is always good to get a few lessons in a row aswell if you can as the instructor will really reinforce ideas. It's up to you at the end of the day but I really have to laugh when people say "get a few hours and then go off and just do it yourself for the rest of the time". While practise is always good, you can never get enough lessons. I have been riding 10 years now but I still jump on any training sessions I can because there is always something new to learn and an instructor will get you learning everything a lot quicker.

Hope that helps
    Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Have a look at the courses on offer. It is better to have lessons each day for a couple of hours in the morning then go off in the afternoon and practice what you have learned.

You will be wrecked on a 4 hour lesson if its your first ever time on a board. Better to do a couple of hours in the day each day for the week rather than knacker yourself out the first day and have aching muscles you never even knew you had!

If there are a few of you then book 2 hours of private tuition each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Thanks for the advice,

I was in Livigno 2 years ago in January. At the time I did a private lesson everyday. Wasnt anything special but was able to pick up the basics and get down the blue slopes without falling:). However, I doubt much of this has been retained.

In the group my mate will doing snowboarding for the first time. Might do lessons with the mate, but would the previous trip stand to me in any way (like riding a bike theory) or would I be better off just starting from scratch due to the length of time since last time? Also, it is a lot cheaper!

The rest are doing skiing. Here is the ski school recommended. http://www.neue-skischule.de/.

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Yeah best to get some lessons each day and then you can go up on the mountain and practice them. Good thing about getting them each day is that they only last a few hours, then you have the rest of the day to g up on the mountain with the rest of your friends.

Advertisement