Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY HD Offer - Too good to pass up?

Options
  • 22-10-2010 4:02pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have multiroom with them, one sky+, one regular box.

They rang me today to let me know about their latest offer (I was getting ready to say thank you, but no...)

€30 installation, and sky hd sub of €5 per month for a year. So new hd box for 90 really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

MarkR wrote: »

They rang me today to let me know about their latest offer (I was getting ready to say thank you, but no...)

€30 installation, and sky hd sub of €5 per month for a year. So new hd box for 90 really.

Thats a good deal for an existing customer, bite their hand off!
    Went for it myself, but paying €15 per month
    Have say HD is really really good

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This may sound like a daft question but here I go anyway. Is it worth it for someone without a HD tv? I'm interested in the box due to the increased storage capacity it provides over my 80gig Sky + box

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It will downsample the HD to the Scart.

It won't work as a recorder at all if you ever cancel, only as a dumb box. Thus unless you need Sky Sport a Freesat HD+ PVR is better value in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

€5 a month is very good. Their current deal for existing customers isnt bad either, where you get a free Sky HD box with the HD Pack. You could cancel the HD pack after a year, and get the new, up-to-date, bigger HDD box all for €180 (€210 if you have to the €30 installation). You'll also get BBC HD and ITV HD free after you cancel so not bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Don't forget though, that the HD sub will only correspond with whatever package you currently have.

So if you don't have movies/sports, you won't get the HD variants.
    Similarly if you don't have the knowledge pack, you won't get.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Raoul

I was just thinking, in our house, my parents have one sky regular box and one sky plus box for multiroom. If my parents cancelled their subscription, could I get a new sky+ box for free and all the new offers for new customers?

Also are all boxes now skyHD boxes but only HD if you subscribe to the HD channels

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, it might be awkward. But it might work, if the current contract is cancelled first (Sky would cross-reference the landline number, and see an existing sub in place).

Yes, Sky+ boxes are now gone. If you want a recording box now, it's Sky+HD box as standard. You'll only get the subscription HD channels if, as you say, you sub to the HD mix.

Of course, the likes of BBC HD, Luxe HD etc are FTA and can be received without HD mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Raoul

What do you think they would say if I simply rang them up and said my parents are cancelling their subscription I would like to take one out. Surely they cant say that I'm not a new customer. Unless they have something in their terms and conditions. Also would be able to get my sister a 50 euro referral voucher.

Parents have been customers for nearly 10 fecking years and sky have never given us anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

MarkR wrote: »

How would I get this, I would be interested.

Also for the €30 would they install a new dish as the one I have is getting a bit rusty and I have difficulty getting some of the channels when it is raining.

Advertisement