Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky HD box works manually but not with remote?

Options
  • 22-10-2010 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Have tried 3 different remotes and they all work the tv for volume and power on and off etc, but my problem is that my HD box doesnt seem to be picking up an infra red signal from any of the remotes, I can change channels on the box manually, but there are no lights flashing on the box when I use the remote, basically I dont think its a remote problem but more a box issue,anyone have an idea how i can fix this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

of course i cannot access the services or interactive menus either,it was working up to a day or two ago, ..but not now, i also have noticed it is very slow to come on,now i know they are a bit slow but it can take a full 5 mins for ti to wake up when i switch it on sometimes, a right pain in the proverbials, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are different codes for + and HD boxes compared to regular sky box. I beleive there is a magic sequence that switches the Sky Remote to work an old Sky box or Sky+ or Sky HD.

watty wrote: »
    There are different codes for + and HD boxes compared to regular sky box. I beleive there is a magic sequence that switches the Sky Remote to work an old Sky box or Sky+ or Sky HD.

do you have any info on these sequences? also no lights even flash on the box when i press the remote,i mean nothing,it just seems that the infrared is banjaxxed on the sky hd box, i only use it as a fta so i cant ring sky asking for their advice, any other advice?

also as i said before the remote worked up to a day or two ago,its just today i tried a couple more in order to see if it was the control i was using that had gone faulty,but no. its definiely a box issue not a remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Sounds like the ir reciever on the box.
    Try a software update, doubt it will fix it but worth a shot.
    It is possible to access the services and interactive menu's from using the buttons on the box.
    Just press tv guide then toggle left/right to the menu you require.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You do know a regular Sky Remote won't operate an SkyHD. Different Codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Its highly likely that the ir receiver is gone as its quite common in the early Thomson made boxes.

Do you have a magic eye on it at present in a different room? If so connect it to the RF2 directly in the room where the box is....and see if it will allow you to change channels..

kbell wrote: »
    Sounds like the ir reciever on the box.
    Try a software update, doubt it will fix it but worth a shot.
    It is possible to access the services and interactive menu's from using the buttons on the box.
    Just press tv guide then toggle left/right to the menu you require.

WORKED!!:):), I figured that an update may help but as I did not know how to access the menu without a remote I could not carry it out untill I saw your post. My box is 4yrs old and i was still on the old blue/yellow type of text so i knew it wasnt the latest version,it was also so terribly slow to change channels. It is working absolutely perfectly now! Many many thnks to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bigfishman

actually you can operate sky hd with a regular sky remote. you can't record or pause of course but you can do everthing else - including accessing the planner and playing back recorded programs etc.

To reprogram the sky remote to control the sky+ or sky hd box.

The sequence is:

TV
    Hold Blue+select until LED flash twice
    Select
    Sky

thanks to satcure.co.uk

Advertisement