Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theatre license

Options
  • 22-10-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Does anyone know how to go about obtaining a theatre license? The license entitles you to operate a premesis and sell alcohol providing you have live acts of some sort 7 nights a week?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Buy a hotel.

They're essentially 24 hour bars with €50 admission.

Failing that, you need to apply to your local district court for a late night extension. Although I understand that "theatre licenses" have been clamped down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mollymolly2

Thanks, buying a hotel isnt an option. If I had that kind of money I wouldnt be trying to find ways around the liquor license :)

Im trying to open a small bar with live music, hence the theatre license instead or the €80k a year liquor license.
    Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

€80k a year liquor license.
    Thanks though.
    What is the 80k a year liquor licence?

Its the license that allows you to sell alcohol in your pub/hotel/club.....anywhere that sells alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Its the license that allows you to sell alcohol in your pub/hotel/club.....anywhere that sells alcohol.

You seem a little ill-informed about the liquor licensing laws in this country, read these pages for a bit of information;

http://www.barkeeper.ie/page.asp?menu=0&page=796

http://www.licensing.ie/publicans_licensing_print.htm

To sell alcohol you need a licence which can be purchased for a one off cost of around €70,000 in the current climate. This licence must be renewed every year at a cost of between approx. €500 and €2500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

Can I do off- sales with a full publican's license?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I believe you can, but it is always a bit more complicated than just the licence. There are issues of planning too. Professional advice is always in order for licensing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

I believe you can, but it is always a bit more complicated than just the licence. There are issues of planning too. Professional advice is always in order for licensing issues.

Yeah, I spoke to my solicitor tonight. He says that it's perfectly legal to do off-sales with a publican's license. However, whilst it isn't yet mandatory to have the off-license in a separate structure, there is a "code of conduct", which really should be adhered to.

The Dagda wrote: »
    You seem a little ill-informed about the liquor licensing laws in this country, read these pages for a bit of information;

I am aware it is not a yearly occurring cost but as I do not have one already is the reason I was curious about the theater one. In Dublin you cannot just buy a liquor license, you have to buy an already existing one and maintain it for a further year before you can move the license to a new premisis which is another reason for the other license. I do not want to reopen an existing bar just to get the license so I was hoping to find a way around it with the theatre license. The shebeen on Georges street operates with this license, I just cannot find out much information on them or the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

the new licencing law that can into effect 2 years ago literally killed off the theatre licence of old.

if you have a premises you can go to a number of solicitors around dublin(pm me for details) and they can buy a licence for you for a premises in which to sell booze for between 70k and 80k so long as you have the appropiate planning etc.

you do not need to "reopen" a bar to maintain a licence however this time of year is best to buy a licence as the renewal is September every year regaldless of the time you bought the licence and the annual renewal fee is €1500. The new licence covers both of the old licences to sell wine,beer and spirits.

you could also apply to the county council for a new licence, the process is not as bad as you think and its cheaper however buying one is straight forward and effective immediately.

pm me for any details you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement