Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddle advice

Options
  • 22-10-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi
    Got a road bike recently with a Fizik arione saddle, great saddle but after an hour or so my tail bone (cockex) gets sore.

Any advice on a new saddle someone mentioned a gel saddle?
    Comments and advice welcome

Thanks
    Hugh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

more likley to be your position on the bike (takes me ages when i get a new bike) did a bike shop set it up for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I use the same saddle without any problems. I took a while to originally get the setup correct. I found it's most comfortable to leave it as flat as possible with little or no tilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hughmace

more likley to be your position on the bike (takes me ages when i get a new bike) did a bike shop set it up for you ?

Thanks
    ye bike shop set it uo for me spent over an hour looking at position measuring angles and position on bike

saddle is level on the bike

maybe I just have to toughen up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Make sure the Arione is actually for you. The fizik spine concept gives some information, dressed up in a tacky marketing promo. Dig around and you will find:

Arione: You can touch your toes easily, your flexibility means your sit bones support most of your weight with little pressure on the genital area.

Aliante: Low spine flexibility, pelvis rotates forward dramatically, pushing the hips back in the road bike position and putting huge pressure on the genital area.

Antares: In between the two.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Make sure the Arione is actually for you. The fizik spine concept gives some information, dressed up in a tacky marketing promo. Dig around and you will find:

Arione: You can touch your toes easily, your flexibility means your sit bones support most of your weight with little pressure on the genital area.

Aliante: Low spine flexibility, pelvis rotates forward dramatically, pushing the hips back in the road bike position and putting huge pressure on the genital area.

Antares: In between the two.

Thanks Dirk

Complete novice I didn't know what there range was about!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I tried about 6 different saddles before I saw the chart in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60376035
    The result was I bought a touring saddle 10mm wider and with a little more padding which solved it for me.

Ta Vic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Just looking into getting a new saddle and doing a bit of research, if the info is correct the Aliante should suit me fine.

No matter how much stretching I do I cant get close to touching my toes.

Glad I found this now because I just got a loan of an Aliante test saddle, I'll try it out for a week or so anyway and see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vision267

murph226 wrote: »
    Just looking into getting a new saddle and doing a bit of research, if the info is correct the Aliante should suit me fine.

No matter how much stretching I do I cant get close to touching my toes.

Glad I found this now because I just got a loan of an Aliante test saddle, I'll try it out for a week or so anyway and see how it goes!
    Make sure you us it as much as possible,I found the aliante too soft and short.Its also wide at the back 143mm I think.Saddle choice is one of the hardest things to get right.

Prologo have a test saddle as well,might be worth checking out.I wish you luck,luck was how I managed to find a saddle that worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

hugh i have the alanti saddle with carbon rails great saddle but bloody expensive.on my touring bike i have the brooks champion special like sitting on a sofa honest .check out brooks saddles they reckon wants you get used to them you will never ride anything else.
    believe me i went through the sore ass experience on saddles until i came across the two i mentioned.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I just bought this Charge Spoon from Evans:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/spoon-saddle-ec008616?query=charge%20spoon

Good value @ €30 delivered and I've seen it been recommended more than once.

Feck didn't see they have it in white too:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/spoon-saddle-ec025891?query=charge%20spoon

Advertisement