Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire on 3 - improving battery life

Options
  • 22-10-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Where I live, there's good 3G cover & also good Vodafone cover. I've noticed the phone tends to skip over and back between 2G & 3G, from time to time. To stop this happening, I went into Network Settings, and selected WCDMA-only mode. Since then I've noticed that battery life seems to have improved by about 6 hours. I'm now getting 48 - 52 hours, instead of the 42 to 46 I was getting.

Just thought I'd pass this on...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

and what happen when you loose the 3G band, does it kick back to 2G or just no internet??

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LightHugger

When you go outside the 3G area the phone has no service (neither voice nor data) so you'd have to go back into network settings and enable auto mode again.

In my case I don't have to do that very often, because I'm in the 3G area most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

aha ok thanks for the info, won't work for me, i travel alot around the country :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd love to know how you get the 42 hours in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I'd love to know how you get the 42 hours in the first place...

I can get that at the weekend as well as I am not surfing / listening to the radio on my daily commute.
    I do have WiFi and 3g turned off for most of the time though, and Airplane mode at night time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Well I knew already that basically not using the phone saves battery life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

i dunno if i even agree with that.. im browsing the web and that most of the time and it still says that the android system and cell idle phone standby etc are main users still..
    i reckon that underclock cpu for certain times is the way to go but its a paid app as most of the useful ones are :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Well how else did you think you can get a long battery life from a smartphone

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭alhimself

hey i was thinking of getting a desire on 3 myself but was wondering about the 2.2, having read posts here, the 2.2 is available on 3 right? also, are desires on 3 locked and branded to three? how do you find the 3 billpay tariffs? i was thinkin of the 40 a month classic flexi max, with a free internet max addon, so 2gb upto 4gb data is good right? or would i get away with a 1gb allowance(general everyday use, light surfing, facebook etc) on meteor on smart 30/35 and maybe a desire z if they manage to get it in! while ive heard of meteor being dodgy for android devices has any one had any problems on three, as in being unable to use 2g when 3g is unavailable or turned off to save battery life etc....

Advertisement