Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solubilise medium chain fatty acid powder :(

Options
  • 22-10-2010 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey... im trying to solubilise a hydrophobic powder and not having much luck :( Ive tried mixing it with Ethanol or isopropanol but i dont think it is dissolving as the liquid is cloudy and one i dilute it in water...... it comes back out of solution :mad: I also tried mixing a bit of 1M HCl with the water and that worked a wee bit but not as much as id hoped ......

I need to use the mixture to do in vitro bacterial inactivation tests so the medium used to dissolve it cannot be lethal to my bugs :). Would really appreciate any suggestions........ :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Have you tried a surfactant like tween? At low concentrations (around 0.5-1% v/v) it is not toxic to most bacteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Have you tried DMSO? What concentration are you trying to dissolve it at?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

mloc wrote: »
    Have you tried DMSO? What concentration are you trying to dissolve it at?

DMSO is known to induce mutations. I know those of us that do cell culture use it all the time for freezing down but this is more out of necessity than actual want. I think the Tween is your best bet as mentioned by Gaspode.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Could you try sonication? - Some people in my lab use it for getting difficult compounds into solution.

Advertisement