Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Garda nominated for Scott medal.

Options
  • 22-10-2010 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/garda...al-134102.html

Garda Reserve member nominated for Scott medal
    By Noel Baker

Thursday, October 21, 2010

A MEMBER of the Garda Reserve has been nominated for a prestigious Scott Medal after helping to foil a gun incident involving a well-known criminal.

Supt Simon O’Connor, the head of the Garda Reserve, confirmed it was the first time a member of the Reserve has been nominated for a medal as a result of bravery in the line of duty.

It is understood the member, alongside two full-time members of an Garda Síochána, helped foil a "serious incident involving firearms", in which a man was arrested and a weapon was recovered.

The incident took place in Dublin but Supt O’Connor said further details could not be released as the case is due to come before court at a future date.

The process for the awarding of a gold, silver or bronze Scott Medal can take between 18 and 24 months, but Supt O’Connor said it was now entering "the final stage" regarding the member of the Garda Reserve.

"It would be fantastic for the Reserve for someone from the Reserve to get it," Supt O’Connor said.

"It just goes to show how well the Reserve has gelled with the full-time members."

Membership of the voluntary Garda Reserve is now approaching 810, with 625 members already operational and another 185 in training.

The stated aim is for 10% of the total Garda force – about 1,400 members – to be Garda Reserve members by 2012, and Supt O’Connor said it was now likely that figure would be exceeded ahead of schedule.

Under the Garda Síochána Act 2005 members of the Garda Reserve have many of the powers of full-time members but have limits on what they can do by the Garda Commissioner.

Medal history

What is the Scott Medal?

In 1923, Colonel Walter Scott, an Honorary Commissioner of the New York City Police and a philanthropist, presented An Garda Síochána, then the world’s youngest police force, with a $1,000 gold bond. There was only one condition attached to the award of the Scott Medal: "No action, however heroic, will merit the award of the Scott Medal unless it takes the shape of an act of personal bravery, performed intelligently in the execution of duty at imminent risk to the life of the doer, and armed with full previous knowledge of the risk involved."

The medal is in the form of a Celtic cross.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, October 21, 2010

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/garda...#ixzz133hgeglK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

genuine act or PR stunt

i hope its a genuine thing and well done to all involved if so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Why might it not be genuine but a '' PR stunt '' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

They don't give out Scott Medals free in Cornflakes Boxes.
    Well done to that man/woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Many thanks for the link Lehanemore, I've copied it over into the News Thread for the Reserve.

Great News I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Many thanks for the link Lehanemore, I've copied it over into the News Thread for the Reserve.

Great News I must say.

+1

That is great news and a great lift for the reserve force as a whole. Well done to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

kensey wrote: »
    +1

That is great news and a great lift for the reserve force as a whole. Well done to all involved

Great news and delighted to hear of a positive news story in relation to the Reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

1922 wrote: »
    genuine act or PR stunt

i hope its a genuine thing and well done to all involved if so

+1

More said about the reserve than the Full Time members who have to deal with the whole investigation tbh. Sounds very PR.

Congratulations otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Mutz wrote: »
    +1

More said about the reserve than the Full Time members who have to deal with the whole investigation tbh. Sounds very PR.

Congratulations otherwise.

As a Reserve I would have to concur, the Reserve did as he should have in assisting his full time colleagues, but just because he is a Reserve does not mean that he now gets all of the limelight, as this also has the effect of creating a them and us mentality. As you say its all about giving the Reserve some good publicity, and while its welcome most Reserves would be far happier with fit for purpose powers and responsibilities.

Advertisement