Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Tools Problem

Options
  • 22-10-2010 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Here's my Problem (bare with me)

Im recording a midi instrument track to an audio track.
    I've set up the output of the instrument track and the input of the audio track as bus 1-2 (Nothing strange here).
    Record enable on the audio track and hit play. Then nothing, no signal to the audio track! :mad:

Here's the weird part. When I hit spacebar again to stop, I get signal to the audio track for a split second :eek:

There's no problem when I am recording. The audio track gets signal and records as normal :confused:

Thought maybe someone here could shed a little light on my situation before I try reinstalling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

DBSound wrote: »
    Here's my Problem (bare with me)

Im recording a midi instrument track to an audio track.
    I've set up the output of the instrument track and the input of the audio track as bus 1-2 (Nothing strange here).
    Record enable on the audio track and hit play. Then nothing, no signal to the audio track! :mad:

Here's the weird part. When I hit spacebar again to stop, I get signal to the audio track for a split second :eek:

There's no problem when I am recording. The audio track gets signal and records as normal :confused:

Thought maybe someone here could shed a little light on my situation before I try reinstalling.

Setup the midi instrument on an auxiliary track and create a midi track below, make sure to tell the midi track you want to receive the signal from above , now bus from the aux track to an audio track.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SonasRec

Sounds to me like an auto input problem. If your using a mac ''option k' or pc 'alt k' will toggle this mode on and off.

Found a brief explanation here:

Auto Input Monitoring versus Input Only Monitoring: These two monitoring modes have to do with how an audio track passes audio to the tracks output path when the audio track is record enabled. These modes can be toggled using the shortcut of Opt-K (Alt-K on PC), or from the Track Menu. On HD this can be switch on a track-by-track basis, in LE it is a global setting.
    Let’s start with the easy one first, Input Only monitoring. When Pro Tools is set to Input Only monitoring and a track is record enabled, Pro Tools sends the audio that it receives from the input path on to the output path at all times, regardless of whether Pro Tools is Stopped, Playing, or Recording.
    Auto Input monitoring is a bit more complex. In Auto Input mode, when a track is record enabled Pro Tools sends the audio that it receives from the input path on to the output path during recording and when the transport is stopped. When Pro Tools is playing back the existing audio material on a track is sent to the output path (if there is any audio). If no audio has been recorded on the track then nothing is sent to the output (so no sound will be heard from that track, not even the incoming signal).

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DBSound

dav nagle wrote: »
    Setup the midi instrument on an auxiliary track and create a midi track below, make sure to tell the midi track you want to receive the signal from above , now bus from the aux track to an audio track.

Nah I had tried that already. It shouldn't make a difference anyway if you think about it. Cheers anyway Dav
    SonasRec wrote: »
    Sounds to me like an auto input problem. If your using a mac ''option k' or pc 'alt k' will toggle this mode on and off.

Found a brief explanation here:

Auto Input Monitoring versus Input Only Monitoring: These two monitoring modes have to do with how an audio track passes audio to the tracks output path when the audio track is record enabled. These modes can be toggled using the shortcut of Opt-K (Alt-K on PC), or from the Track Menu. On HD this can be switch on a track-by-track basis, in LE it is a global setting.
    Let’s start with the easy one first, Input Only monitoring. When Pro Tools is set to Input Only monitoring and a track is record enabled, Pro Tools sends the audio that it receives from the input path on to the output path at all times, regardless of whether Pro Tools is Stopped, Playing, or Recording.
    Auto Input monitoring is a bit more complex. In Auto Input mode, when a track is record enabled Pro Tools sends the audio that it receives from the input path on to the output path during recording and when the transport is stopped. When Pro Tools is playing back the existing audio material on a track is sent to the output path (if there is any audio). If no audio has been recorded on the track then nothing is sent to the output (so no sound will be heard from that track, not even the incoming signal).

YESSSSSS BAIIIIIII! :D . . . That did the trick alright :cool:
    Thanks Sonas!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SonasRec

No worries. Thats a pretty well used command especially if your doing drop ins.

Advertisement