Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

writing a book....

Options
  • 22-10-2010 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hey so just wondering has anyone ever written a book and have you any advice on it..... and any ideas of who I need to talk to get get it published ets... I am a photographer, and I want to do a book with a collection of my photographs

many thanks
    emilyrose89
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There's a creative writing forum here, and also no doubt the photography forum will have people who have done what you want to do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ahbegob

Well I have written one so I guess I can offer advice.

The main thing, to put it bluntly, is the content something that a publisher can sell? Why should someone buy your book as opposed to say Ansel Adams or whoever? The prospect is especially daunting as picture collections are more expensive to publish then plain text.

Unless you are famous, then a collection of photographs by Jane Smith is unlikely to sell well unless you have lots of relatives.

Therefore the solution you be to work out a niche market and perhaps have an evocative theme ie 'Nudes' by Jane Smith, 'The Castles of Ireland' by Jane Smith.. ' you get the idea. The subject matter may also help point you in the direction of potential sponsirship - for examples Ianroid Eireann may be interested in 'Buses of ireland' by Jane Smith.

Although there is a body of opinion that advises against self publishing. There are some exceptions whereby the author pays knowing that the book will make a loss but the book credit will open other doors - for example a poet may self publish to gain exposure or an academic may self publish to enhance his/her academic career. This latter option perhaps could also be seen as a method of pushing one's photographic career.

Opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

How many of your photographs have been published elsewhere? If you are a regular contributer to the Irish Times or Vogue, for instance, you'll have a much easier time convincing a publisher that there is a market for your pix.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

I did a book on Stained Glass, I took 50,000 images over two years non-stop. I got the book published, but you need to have good examples when you make your submission to the publisher. Now the book I did has been shortlisted for 'Best Irish published' The publisher will ask you one question 'Will this book sell'

Advertisement