Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meribel

Options
  • 21-10-2010 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

is it as bad as i suspect?
    bottom of the charts in the three valleys
    cheap accommodation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Well Bride Les Bains isn't great which is where all the cheap accomodation is. You've to get a gondola up to Meribel every morning.

If you want to ski three valleys and you're tight on money, I'd recommend going to Les Menuires or Val Thorens. I was in Les Menuires in the 1st week in January last year, I think it costs about €750 including everything except lessons. If you want more info, PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Tom Fiat; Not if you do it right, Biggest problem with Meribel is it is a very spread out village but there is some great powder stashes that you will have first access to in the Three Valleys from Meribel.The accomidation is a little cheaper but that does not mean there is not quality there.http://www.easiski.co.uk/ I can put in a word for you with the lady in charge if you are intrested .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Fattes wrote: »
    Tom Fiat; Not if you do it right, Biggest problem with Meribel is it is a very spread out village but there is some great powder stashes that you will have first access to in the Three Valleys from Meribel.The accomidation is a little cheaper but that does not mean there is not quality there.http://www.easiski.co.uk/ I can put in a word for you with the lady in charge if you are intrested .
    Spent a week in Reberty last year, a small bit up from Les Menuires.
    It was late in the season (start of April)
    We booked a package from London Gatwick, Flights, accomodation, breakfast, evening meal (with wine) ski pass, ski rental, ski in/ski out with hot tub and sauna. Had a great time. Cost was about 800 odd euro but that was about all we spent on the whole trip bar the ryanair flight to London.
    We were looking at Meribel initially but this worked out better.

Best ski holiday have had yet, lots of varying slopes and plenty snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭camo11

Stayed in Meribel 3 years ago and was good skiing, excellent in fact. The apres ski is not that great, depends what you want from your holiday. Stay in the center thou as Bride le brains is miles away and a nightmare to get up to the village in the mornings i believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

anyone know anything bout Les Allues??
    apparently 10 mins away

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Stayed in Mottaret a few years ago, which is the furthest up the Meribel valley you can get. Not a huge amount going on there for night life, but you makes your own entertainment. We did have fantastic access to the slopes though and no concerns with the slight thawing that was already starting to happen lower down the valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

^ Same as. Mottaret is fairly quiet but it probably has the best location for access to the whole of the 3 Valleys. Also stayed in les Menuires on another trip and again it is very quiet but is very well located - though prob less so than Mottaret.
    Meribel itself isn't a bad town but was way too "English" for me - no offence. Went there a couple of nights and I don't think we met a single French person...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Meribel itself isn't a bad town but was way too "English" for me - no offence. Went there a couple of nights and I don't think we met a single French person...
    Well it is actually an British town created by a Colonel Peter Lindsay as a ski resort. We certainly encountered some French people in the bar and about the apartments when we stayed in Meribel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I had the same experience as Holy Diver, it's very Engerlish. Don't think we'd ever go back tbh. We're commited to Austria at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rjp123

les allues would be too far down the valley for my own preference (although i never went there so cant comment on it as a village). stay at 1400+ if you can would be my advice.
    as for meribel being "full of english". so what? english people like to go skiing. far more french on the slopes imo. again who gives a f?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

good feedback dudes and dudesses
    basically its like this - i'm hitting meribel for new years
    So what area should i look to stay at
    easy access to slopes is crucial
    but also i dont really want to have to travel 20 mins to the local either
    chalets, apts will all be considered

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rjp123

meribel 1450.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Tom Fiat wrote: »