Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capturing a DV tape on a HDV camera

Options
  • 21-10-2010 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Is it possible to do this? Final Cut Pro won't allow me to, I tried changing the camera setting but to no avail. The camera is a Canon Vixia hv40.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Can you play the tape back in the camera properly?

Have you captured other tapes off this camera into your FCP?

Is FCP giving you an error message or just not seeing the camera as a deck at all?

Could the tape you're trying to capture have been recorded as DVcam? I've never used the Canon camera you're using but there is a possibility that it might not play back DVcam, only HDV and MiniDV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Is it possible to do this? Final Cut Pro won't allow me to, I tried changing the camera setting but to no avail. The camera is a Canon Vixia hv40.
    Are you using firewire? Could be a cable malfunction check that by using another cable for a start. As mentioned above it may not be recognising anything. Possibly due to cable malfunction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Can you play the tape back in the camera properly?

Have you captured other tapes off this camera into your FCP?

Is FCP giving you an error message or just not seeing the camera as a deck at all?

Could the tape you're trying to capture have been recorded as DVcam? I've never used the Canon camera you're using but there is a possibility that it might not play back DVcam, only HDV and MiniDV.

I've used it for HDV tapes, this is the first time I've used it for DV. It won't play it back, no. I've tried changing the actual recording settings but with no luck. I can't imagine it's a very common problem, I was just wondering if it's theoretically possible for HDV cameras to do this.
    Are you using firewire? Could be a cable malfunction check that by using another cable for a start. As mentioned above it may not be recognising anything. Possibly due to cable malfunction.

I don't think it's cable malfunction. I've used it to digitize loads of stuff before and it still works for HDV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Wolf Club wrote: »
    I've used it for HDV tapes, this is the first time I've used it for DV. It won't play it back, no. I've tried changing the actual recording settings but with no luck. I can't imagine it's a very common problem, I was just wondering if it's theoretically possible for HDV cameras to do this.

If the tape won't play back in the camera then nothing you change in FCP will make a difference.

There's a chance the tape was recorded as DVcam and your camera will only play back HDV or MiniDV. You might need to get a DVcam deck to check it or if you could get hold of the camera it was shot on then you could use that.

Did you shoot the footage yourself or is it someone else's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I have a HV40 and have recorded mostly in SD. I recorded a small amount of HD and it played also. There is no issue with SD playback. Out through firewire and into the computer. You say 'capturing a DV tape on a HD camera'. Are you playing the HDV tape out from a HDV camera and trying to record it to DV on the HV40? Or am i picking you up wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Ive definitely done it on the hv30. Make sure the cam is in dv playback mode. Trying using a program for pc called hdv split.

Something that'd help is if we knew what camera that footage was recorded on as some cams are not compatible with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm not quite following your description here, but am I to take it that the footage on the tape was recorded on a camera that is different to the one on which you are currently playing back?

In which case it is very likely to be a codec issue, regardless of the quality. You need to use the original camera or another compatible one (the same manufacturer would almost certainly work).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ahbegob

FCP will happily ingest HDV and DV so there should not be a problem there.

You need to perhaps get a blank tape a record a few seconds of DV and also a few seconds of HDV and try inporting it. If it plays back correctly in the camcorder but one of the settings is not viewable on the Mac- then I'd check that your presets are set correctly.

FCP won't recognise the camcorder set to playback DV if you are using the HDV settings in FCP (You follow)

Basically; ensure that your presets are set to import DV Pal via firewire. Once your capture window can see your camera- then you should be home dry. It just won't see the camcorder if your settings are set incorrectly.

Without all the info- hard to be more specific

Advertisement