Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to approach college about MRes??

Options
  • 21-10-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I want to do a Master through Research and I need some advice on how to approach the universities...

How specific should I be? I have a specific "issue" that I want to research, but I would be willing to consider different research areas (within social science and education) if that increases my chances of being accepted in to the univeristy.

Are there any risks in being that honest when talking to the person in charge of research students? Is there a risk that they might not take my interest seriously if I tell them I don't mind what I research?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

It can't hurt to let them know your own idea, but be sure to let them know that you'd be willing to do one of their projects if your own idea isn't suitable for them (they mightn't have a suitable supervisor).

As for telling them you don't mind what you research, it mightn't be good to tell them that as it doesn't make you look enthusiastic about it (i.e. you want to do the masters for the sake of doing the masters, rather than researching a subject you like). For example, I wouldn't tell a potential supervisor that I would do a masters in any area of physics, I would at least narrow it down to something like thermal physics. (I could be totally wrong about this though!)

You should probably do a little bit of digging before contacting someone, to see if they have any projects available on their website, or what field they work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭beatle

Thanks Alliandre!

Do most universities publish what research projects they are running or want to set up? I haven't found any such lists but it would be very helpful if they did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

Well I did find project lists on some university websites (for physics), under the department page and then postgrad opportunities. Obviously not every university does that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

beatle wrote: »
    Thanks Alliandre!

Do most universities publish what research projects they are running or want to set up? I haven't found any such lists but it would be very helpful if they did!

What are you doing at the minute, are you a final year student? What discipline? What do you want to research? An MLitt is a fairly big commitment if you don't have an idea of what you want to get out of it before you start you can easily get lost in the project. One of my lecturers told me to find the supervisor you want for your project and that to me is the best advice, check the different departments in universities you want to attend and make a short list of people you would like to have supervise you. In the meantime do as much reading about the subject you are interested in as possible and get an idea of what hasn't been researched much or hasn't been researched in a particular way. You will have to sell this project to the supervisor to a certain extent, so just rocking up with good intentions and an open mind won't be enough, even though its clear you're enthusiastic.

Advertisement