Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Blood Pressure

Options
  • 21-10-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was at the doctor this morning and he said my blood pressure was high. He checked it again a few minutes later, and then got a nurse to check it a while later and it was still high. They're doing some blood tests now and I'm going back next week to get my blood pressure checked again.

From the sounds of it, with the anxiety and stuff I think I've been suffering, I may have high blood pressure.

I'm wondering has anyone here had it and what did you do to reduce it? I definitely need to lose weight and I'm working on that and I may do some more exercise too. I'm just wondering what else I can do and if it's possible to get my blood pressure back to normal and eliminate the need to take medication for it?

He was talking about prescribing beta blockers but didn't want to do so just yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers for that.

I actually checked my blood pressure there now with a home kit that we have. It was fine, well within the normal range. I'm just wondering if today it was up as I was feeling a bit tense and emotional talking about stuff. And perhaps an element of white coat syndrome, although I didn't feel particularly nervous or anything.

Anyway I will go back on Monday to get it checked again like they asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kosulli

hi, i dont have high blood pressure but i have been taking a natural product for a few months for back pain, from talking to others who are taking it there are people who take it for high blood pressure and find it very good, i know you mentioned you would like to not take medication but this is 100% natural with no chemicals or additives, its made from ground down pearls, it has helped my back and has also helped me sleep better. on the excercise i have recently been checking out fitness clips on 'you tube' got some great tips on cardio excercises.... well worth checking out, even type in help with weight loss and endless helpfull clips. best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

HI

My other half has had high bp for the last 6 years only medicated for the last 3 years. His bp has been allover the place and they decided to give him a full M O T.

Any way he saw the cardiologist and he said that stress has little affect on bp and that the higher the pulse rate the higher the bp. So they are now treating him for fast heart rate and then medicating him for high bp and his bp is the lowest it has ever been (120/65).

My hubby had a 24 hour monitor on and that recorded high bp 24 hours a day including during sleep. There are loads of reasons for one off high bp even down to a viral infection, keep doing what your doing if you have any concerns see your g.p. and if the gp doesn't give you what your looking for ask to see a consultant who will do all the checks. my hubby had none of these checks done and now 3 years down the line they are looking into why he has high bp, he had his last test done last week and mri scan and is to see the consultant later in the month.

One thing you have to do to reduce bp is to cut out salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

bobbydazzler, stop just posting your survey here. i've deleted it from more than one thread. if you want to post a survey, read the sticky at the top of the forum first page before doing so.

if you just keep posting it here, we'll keep deleting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op again

I went to the doctors a few weeks ago to get my b/p checked again and it was still high so they gave me a b/p monitor and got me to record my blood pressure a few times per day for about 10-14 days. I took my b/p usually at least 3 or 4 times a day, occasionally more, making sure to take it in the mornings and evenings.

I went back to my GP and he looked over the results and he said they were fine. There were one or two times it was high, but the rest he said were normal.

I definitely think I still need to do something about this anxiety thing I have. It's kind of just taking the first step to call a psychologist is the hard part.

Advertisement