Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Wound Cream

Options
  • 21-10-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Just wondering what you all use for a wound cream, There are so many of them on the market, just wanted to know what was the most effective one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

for antiseptic purposes on fresh wounds, or for the prevention of proud flesh??
    for the former, stable and wound powder is your only man, and for the latter, i like Equicreme teatree cream. serious tack altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

I've always like multiderm myself.... and i also saw it in the local vets recently so I can't go too far wrong with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

Equicream all the way!

Have also had great success with a cream called equi-heel - it can be difficult to source though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I've always found multiderm fantastic. It also comes in a powder and spray, so it can be used for any type of wound. Our vet recommended it for a deep wound he couldn't stitch and it worked brilliantly. Because it heels from the inside out there was very little scarring.

As with all medicines and treatments, it is best to seek veterinary advice before administering any treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭mystika121

I have found that Manuka honey is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Natural herbalist. We have one close to us and she works wonders for cuts, scrapes and even all types of illnesses! If we don't use her, we use iodine spray or plain old sudocream if its just a scrape :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Horsemania

Thanks so much, These are great, In the case of the Manuka Honey, Is it ok to use in the summer ?. :D

Has anyone used Botanica for the prevention of proud flesh? My mother used it on my old horse, and since gave the cream to me! (Yes, she passed on all of Harvey's first aid kit to me!) It works fantastically for human scars too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I only ever use manuka on something that might scar-and in the stable.
    Golden udder -would you believe-is great for the summer.
    Equicreme is excellent for small bits and pieces.

any sort of udder cream is the schnizzle altogether!!! we use it on everything other than cuts. mud rash, sunburn, rubs. sure all it is is sudocrem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I generally use wound powder (it's grey and can be bought from any tack shop or farm store); it's great during the summer too as it contains some citronella to repel flies.

For hair regrowth on healed wounds, Cornucrescine is excellent!

that wound pwder is some serious tack altogether. we get it in the chemist, of all places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Sudocream fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

Yep im a sudacream fan too.....from kids to ponies it works wonders and keeps flies off......failing that the equicream is brill although never used it on the kids bums yet.....thats an idea :D

Wondering if you guys could help me recall the name of a wound cream I would have used in the mid 90s that was a bright flourescent yellow colour? My pony at the time had terrible sunburn on his nose, had to be stabled, and this cream applied. But it was so difficult to get on him, because he would devour it! He ate whole globs of the stuff when I tried to get it onto his face. Would go for the tub too, had to keep the lid on tight. Don't know if my other horses would have been the same about it, since I never had to use it around any of their noses or mouths. Always found it very weird that he just found it delectable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭cookerj

I used to use Multiderm on small cuts althought the alcohol in it has a drying effect on healthy tissue which I don't like. Sudocream is great and stays on.

For more serious wounds (having had the misfortune to experience a couple of very big ones in the last 3 months) I have been amazed by a product called Equaide. It looks like a mud mask for your face and is big in the states, works even if the wound is infected, just paint it on twice a day.

It's only sold in 3 places that I know of in Ireland and a little tub is €60 though I found a way to get it for €45 if you want to PM me. The tub last 3 or 4 big wounds (I'm talking more than 2 inches) or over 20 small ones and it's absolutely unbeatable for minimising scarring, speeding up hair regrowth and preventing the new hair from growing in white. Bingo!

Wondering if you guys could help me recall the name of a wound cream I would have used in the mid 90s that was a bright flourescent yellow colour? My pony at the time had terrible sunburn on his nose, had to be stabled, and this cream applied. But it was so difficult to get on him, because he would devour it! He ate whole globs of the stuff when I tried to get it onto his face. Would go for the tub too, had to keep the lid on tight. Don't know if my other horses would have been the same about it, since I never had to use it around any of their noses or mouths. Always found it very weird that he just found it delectable.

Its not HoofToHeel Cream your on about is it??
    not sure about the flourescent, but its def. yellow.
    or maybe vet standard mud rash cream?? iv seen that in some fairly funky colours, flourescent pink, green purple etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 smudge09

another post for sudocream; powders aren't to be recommended as dry out wound; cleaning with saline solution and leaving to airdry best but I use sudocream for cuts on legs etc where mud can get in.

Advertisement