Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lots of Death and Carnage on Irish roads

Options
  • 21-10-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'll get to the point quickly. I have been around quite a bit and travelled all over the world. I have been driving for around 30 years and been in Ireland for just a couple of months. The standard of driving in this country is nothing short of appalling. Its no wonder every day that there is more deaths reported on the roads. Everthing about Ireland is slow except the way people drive. WHY DONT PEOPLE LEARN TO DRIVE PROPERLY IN THIS COUNTRY. Learners driving unaccompanied, no driving lessons, no licences, driving forever without ever passing a test, You would expect more from some umbongo state in the middle of a jungle.
    Lots of bad experiences already making me feel like I dont want to drive for the first time in my life.
    Was almost forcibly forced of the road on the Killarney-Cork road by some frustrated HGV driver who followed me up my arse for miles and then decided to overtake just at the wrong time. Almost putting me my wife and kids in the ditch. Just because I was sticking to the speed limit.
    Anyone know of the HGV company just short of Macroom where this lunatic turned off and disappeared into a yard somewhere.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

There are as many if not more killed by suicide in Ireland, want to rant about that also ;)

Its the way it is here unfortunately, the standard of driving is kak. Looking forward to my drive to Westport this evening, full of lane hoggers, slow drivers, idiots, speeders etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

yop wrote: »
    Looking forward to my drive to Westport this evening, full of lane hoggers, slow drivers, idiots, speeders etc etc

You need a CANYANERO :p

Yes the driving is terrible but its all down to how people have been trained to drive.

Even if this changed now it will still take years for there to be a noticable improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stefanrasiak

The wrist slashers and pill poppers are making their choice. I dont choose to put my life at risk every time I jump into the car to go to pick the kids up from school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I'd consider editing that it may offend some people here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There are people killed on roads in every other country too, but you don't hear the media going on for hours about it. There was 85 people killed in less than one week in Poland while I was over there for Christmas last year, but it wasn't trawled through every newspaper and radio news broadcast.

Long and the short of it, we've a sh*t road network, sh*t driver training, extremely poor road lighting at night, and hardly any cats eyes at all on minor roads to compensate for the lack of lighting. If they put cats eyes on every single road tomorrow, it would cut a hell of a lot of night time accidents immediately. If they trained people to drive properly within the conditions in front of them (Roads, weather, traffic) it would cut more accidents too.

It isn't just Ireland - but we do love the morbidness of an RTA hence it's a huge deal here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

personally from my experience of driving in many palces abroad, the standard of driving is no worse or better overall than most other european countires..

Everyt country has their idiot drivers and we are no exception, but i would say our driving is of a similiar level to any other european country

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The wrist slashers and pill poppers are making their choice. I dont choose to put my life at risk every time I jump into the car to go to pick the kids up from school
    And on that (unpleasant) note, closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement