Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too soon to put a rug on?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Have you started putting a rug on your horses/ponies that are out on grass yet?

A friend and I were having this discussion yesterday in relation to thoroughbreds who live out most of year in a field with good natural shelter, and are stabled when the weather is at its coldest.

My friend thinks that as soon as September rolls in, it's time to put a rug on his horse that is out.

My opinion is that the animal needs to gradually become used to the weather getting that bit colder, it needs to grow its own winter coat and if you go covering them up straight away without allowing them to be exposed to a little cold weather, then you're hindering them from working with nature.

I don't believe there has been any night yet this year that has been cold enough (at least in my part of the country) to justify a rug, providing the animal has good shelter, is well fed and closely kept an eye on otherwise. Perhaps I'm wrong about this though?

I've seen people leaving damp, wet, torn, soggy rugs on horses for weeks/months through winter and this to me is far more cruel than leaving the animal without a coat.

I know when it comes to horses that everyone has their own specific way of doing things, and no-one can really define what's right or wrong if the animal is well-cared for otherwise, but I'm very curious to hear the opinions of others on this topic. Have you started rugging yet? Or when should you start? How cold does it have to be to put a rug on? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

R0C wrote: »
    My opinion is that the animal needs to gradually become used to the weather getting that bit colder, it needs to grow its own winter coat and if you go covering them up straight away without allowing them to be exposed to a little cold weather, then you're hindering them from working with nature.

I'm with you on this

I have a native pony who lives out and is well into his shaggy winter coat now. I don't rug as he's not clipped, his field has a natural tree-line at the back for shelter and he can move around freely to generate heat. We've only had 1 frosty night so far and that was this week.

Once the cold nights come in he's brought in at night, more because there's no grazing left than anything else. I was told that ponies get colder in a stable as they can't move around as much to keep warm, so I'm a bit unsure on that though.

I only rug in wet weather really... waiting to see what other people do as I'm still learning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Glad to hear I'm not completely alone on that one, Chicken Run. :)

I've always felt bad for some stabled horses which I see standing there looking miserable (not every case, I know). In general, sheds/stables aren't a lot warmer than standing out in an open field, but the animal no longer has the option to move about a bit to generate some heat.

A field with good shelter from wind and rain is, in my opinion, equal to the average stable. I know I've paid a lot for livery in the past only to go into the expensive stables on a cold night and realise that it felt just as cold in there as it was out in the middle of the field where my boys are happy and free.

Like you, I bring my horses in to get them off the land later in the year, but that's to protect the ground more than anything else (an exception is the winter of 2009 where I think it was far too cold for anything to be out!).

I have a large shed/field shelter in the field which they are free to enter whenever they wish. And yet in general, when I visit during a heavy shower or cold wind, there they are out in the middle of the field rather than in the nice, dry shelter.

I thought this was a good article, link.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

It depends on whether you want them to grow a coat or not - personally I'd ride most of the winter so want the horses to have a light coat - am in favour of two rugs (horse hates clippers).

I know I saw a study somewhere years ago that assessed heat loss with 1) rugs 2) field shelter and 3) field shelter and rugs....can't remember results though...am thinking rugs & shelters are your best bet but little advantage over a rug on its own. Having said that i mean a GOOD RUG...i.e. well-fitting, breathable and waterproof (and not one that is going to stay sodden on the horse).

If you are talking about TB's though I'd definitely have them rugged up after the temperatures of the last week. Wouldn't fancy leaving a thin-skinned horse out without a rug at the moment - fine while its cold and dry, but they would be miserable if it rains while its this cold.

Advertisement