Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I rescued this animal from a mouse trap in work (unfortuately it's leg is badly damaged and it may also have eaten some poison) I would like to release it but I'm not sure how long he would last.
    I'm assuming that it's a mouse, but it's tail seems quite long.

has anyone any advice on it's "after care"????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

it's vermin, get shut of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

I rescued this animal from a mouse trap in work (unfortuately it's leg is badly damaged and it may also have eaten some poison) I would like to release it but I'm not sure how long he would last.
    I'm assuming that it's a mouse, but it's tail seems quite long.

has anyone any advice on it's "after care"????
    Leg looks badly damaged. With a crushing injury like that, serious infection will likely take hold. You could bring it to your vet to get it put down. A terrier would kill it quickly, but since you a showing concern for this little fella bringing him to the vet might be a better choice. I wouldn't release him with the injuries he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

Thank you for your reply,and I do agree that we shouldn't be over run with vermin, it just that I don't like killing something if it could be "re-housed"

Leg looks badly damaged. With a crushing injury like that, serious infection will likely take hold. You could bring it to your vet to get it put down. A terrier would kill it quickly, but since you a showing concern for this little fella bringing him to the vet might be a better choice. I wouldn't release him with the injuries he has.

Thanks for reply, I'd feel a little bit silly bringing it to the vet, I'm going to keep it in the box and if he starts eating and if it hasn't been poisoned:(, I will keep it as pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Get rid of it. Not matter how much of an animal lover you are, they're unsuitable as pets. They're vermin and carry disease and piss everywhere. You are risking your health. A friend ended up in hospital because of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Relax Tricky it's hardly a Rat!

I think it is a mouse, it's just that it's tail seemed a bit long, when I say pet, I don't intend keeping it in the house, I am going to cage it in the garage, I have noticed some blue droppings so maybe the poison will end it's life, Assuming it survives he will have a better chance in my garage than in the wild with it's injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

In my opinion, a wild animal, particularly taken in from wild kept in a cage is not a fair life, arguably cruel...

Hello Mothman,
    I agree fully with your point of veiw, it's just that as I see it I had 3 choices 1. leave it in the trap to die.
    2. kill it
    3. Remove it, give it food and water, and hope it lived.

I know keeping it in a cage in my garage isn't ideal, but the alternatives aren't great either.

Originally I asked, is it a mouse? and how should I look after it?

Fair enough. Its easy to pass judgement and yes you are caught between a rock and a hard place.

I agree its a mouse and while its life would be very short in my "care", I applaud and respect your motives, but have nothing to add with regard on how to look after it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies, unfortuately the mouse died about an hour ago, probably for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

it could have ended up like this:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH4EFgRB4bU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

that to me looks like a young rat!

it is quite confusing what to make of them the first time you see them.
    it looks like a mouse but way bigger. plus its tail is very long in comparison to its body so you dont know what to make of it.

but when you think about it there is pretty much only one thing it can be unless there is some giant mutant mice i dont know about.

trebor28 wrote: »
    that to me looks like a young rat!
    it looks like a mouse but way bigger. plus its tail is very long in comparison to its body so you dont know what to make of it.

but when you think about it there is pretty much only one thing it can be unless there is some giant mutant mice i dont know about.

Have you ever actually seen a Wood Mouse (Some call them long tailled Field mice)? A young Rat! No way. The tail length is perfect for a Wood mouse. How can you say this creature is bigger than a Mouse when you have it here with oatmeal for scale? It was a Wood Mouse. Lovely creatures.

Have you ever actually seen a Wood Mouse (Some call them long tailled Field mice)? A young Rat! No way. The tail length is perfect for a Wood mouse. How can you say this creature is bigger than a Mouse when you have it here with oatmeal for scale? It was a Wood Mouse. Lovely creatures.

contradicting lines there dont ya think.

trebor28 wrote: »
    contradicting lines there dont ya think.

Not in the slightest. The scale shows it to be a wood mouse and the tail is long enough for one also.

What is your problem with being giving any form of correction? I believe in giving people accurate answers to queries while you seem to want to introduce doubt at every opportunity.:mad:

I ask again. Have you ever seen a Wood Mouse?

obviously then, your scale is better than mine!

You know something you are right. It's a young Rat. What would I know?

I'm done on these boards. I give honest answers to questions and you come in guessing at every opportunity and putting red herrings in wherever you can. Fine you win. Mislead and confuse all you like because nobody is going to contradict you any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'm done on these boards. I give honest answers to questions and you come in guessing at every opportunity and putting red herrings in wherever you can. Fine you win. Mislead and confuse all you like because nobody is going to contradict you any more.

Don't. You're letting him drag you down to his level and there he will beat you. Prevent him 'winning' by staying above it. Everyone except one spanner in the works knows the value of your contributions and the lack of value in said person's.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

tricky D wrote: »
    Don't. You're letting him drag you down to his level and there he will beat you. Prevent him 'winning' by staying above it. Everyone except one spanner in the works knows the value of your contributions and the lack of value in said person's.
    Ahem! Nuff said

• Advertisement

This thread has served its purpose and I've just mentioned in another thread
    This forum thrives on respect and being civil to each other.
    I expect this decorum to continue...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement