Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Reilly auctioneers?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to sell my Eberhard Chrono4 for ages now, I have also brought it to Dawson's jewellers for a potential trade-in but they say there is no market for this watch due to the "current climate" :rolleyes:and the fact that Eberhard is not distributed here in Ireland, so it's not well known.
    The advice i got is to put it for an auction with O'Reilly as they have a Xmas auction soon...but they take a staggering 19% commission out of the sale value.
    has any of you had any experience in selling/buying a watch in this way?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not really I'm afraid. That said I have frequent the odd Irish auction and have seen watches come up. In a general sale, it really could go either way, but usually down in my experience(I got a 1930's rolex in steel for 50 quid once). Unless you had two people vying for your watch it's likely to go cheap. Then add in the commission which as you say is a bit high to say the least. If you do go that route be sure to run a high reserve on it at least then you dont face letting it go for little or nothing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement