Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who would win tyson or ali ( in there prime)

Options
  • 21-10-2010 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

ultimate qeustion when it comes to boxing i think anyway,
    well me and my friend have a bet to see who is right well here is the question who would win, muhamed ali or mike tyson (both fighters in there prime).............. ill be first to answer i thinkkkkkkkkkkk ALI
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

ali

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Ali probably on points but takes the piss from about the 8th round on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Tyson was a monster in his prime, we will never know but he would have been well up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭megadodge

JayoFella wrote: »
    ultimate qeustion when it comes to boxing i think anyway,
    well me and my friend have a bet to see who is right well here is the question who would win, muhamed ali or mike tyson (both fighters in there prime).............. ill be first to answer i thinkkkkkkkkkkk ALI

In fairness, you cannot say, simply because a few people's opinions on a message board happen to agree/disagree with you that you are right/wrong.

I think Ali would have been messing around with Tyson's head for weeks leading up to the fight, preying on all those insecurities we know Tyson had. In the fight itself, he'd withstand the early onslaught by constant moving and jabbing while all the time verbally jibing Tyson to discourage him. Tyson had good stamina and was always dangerous, but I think after 4-5 rounds Ali would begin to open up more on him while Tyson would be getting more and more desperate. I don't see Mike being stopped but I do see a clear UD for Ali, who could well be rocked/floored along the way, but whose recuperative abilities and concentration were just too good to succumb to a follow-up.

Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I'd go Tyson. Arguably, Ali was beaten a couple of times in his prime, Tyson never was. That would be a dream fight compared to the scandalous HW division we have now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ali he would rope that dope

I also think Foreman would beat Tyson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

I think 80's Tyson is a tad overrated myself, he didn't beat one prime A-Level Heavyweight, but I honestly think he beats the Ali that fought Frazier & Foreman. Styles wise that fight is made for him, Ali's legs were fading and he had completely changed his approach. The lightning fast Tyson would have been all over him imo, possibly landing a stoppage.

That Ali though, was not a prime Ali. He was never quite the same after his suspension imo. Prime Ali was possibly the fastest heavyweight we've ever seen, he was technically proficient and I believe he would have clowned prime Tyson. Mike had many flaws, and I believe a technically superior guy like Prime Ali who had the speed and reflexes to match him, would have picked him apart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Don't think Ali would have survived the sheer damage Tyson at his peak could deliver.
    Foreman possibly could have withstood it, but could he have returned?
    Tyson's only true successful combatant was himself.

Don't think Ali would have survived the sheer damage Tyson at his peak could deliver.

Sadly Tysons era was a terrible time and he was never really tested during his prime but one boxer did put it up to him even though he lost a wide UD and that was Trevor Berbick, now i'm not saying Berbick was class or anything but he did show that with a bit of movement and a solid jab Tyson wasn't the force he was in his other fights.
    Ali i think would have danced and jabbed the head off Tyson all night and win a UD, in saying that Tyson was always dangerous with his power but Ali was too smart and had a great chin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I see where you're coming from, but I still think that Tyson's raw power would have put pretty much any boxer on the back foot.
    Sadly, I don't think Ali, brave though he was, was able to take the same degree of punishment that Foreman could have.
    That's why I reckon Foreman might have had a better chance against Tyson.
    But there's no doubt that Tyson was in a league of his own at the time due to the opposition standard. It's a pity he didn't face better quality at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Both version of Ali beats Tyson 85-88 and Tyson 95-present IMO. Prime obviously beat Sonny Liston, George Chuvalo, Ernie Terrell, etc. Post prime Ali beat Frazier, Earnie Shavers and most importantly Foreman.

I don't think any version of Tyson could go with any version of Foreman. If it was to be a slug fest Tyson would be looking up at the ceiling pretty quick IMO. Foreman only ever knocked out by Ali in his 81 fights! If Ali can beat Foreman (especially '74 version) I think he can take anything from Tyson. 8th round KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ali bomaye.

Have to go with a peak Ali in this one. Tyson would of course have a chance of landing a bomb, but I just that that Ali would be too fast, too skilled, and far too tactical for Tyson, even Tyson at his peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭megadodge

Boooourns wrote: »
    Sadly Tysons era was a terrible time and he was never really tested during his prime but one boxer did put it up to him even though he lost a wide UD and that was Trevor Berbick, now i'm not saying Berbick was class or anything but he did show that with a bit of movement and a solid jab Tyson wasn't the force he was in his other fights.
    Ali i think would have danced and jabbed the head off Tyson all night and win a UD, in saying that Tyson was always dangerous with his power but Ali was too smart and had a great chin.

Tyson KO2 Trevor Berbick to win the title.

megadodge wrote: »
    Tyson KO2 Trevor Berbick to win the title.

Ah ****e your right, it was Tilis i was on about, got my boxers badly mixed up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Silly internet talk...

... but Ali would win :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    Ali bomaye.

Have to go with a peak Ali in this one. Tyson would of course have a chance of landing a bomb, but I just that that Ali would be too fast, too skilled, and far too tactical for Tyson, even Tyson at his peak.

Ali took Fraziers, Listons, hardest punches and was standing. He took Foremans and Shavers, both of who definitely hit harder than Tyson and was standing. IMO a bomb from Tyson (if he was able land one) wouldn't mess up Ali a lot.

Think of the James "Quick" Tillis fights, which was the 1st full fight Tyson found. Ali was quicker than Tillis, had a superior jab and superior chin, just superior in all aspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

might aswell ask who would win between chuck norris and god

some things are best left unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tysonslovechild

In tysons prime he didnt really fight anyone near the class of ali , trevor berbrick and michael spinks probably being the best hed fought in his prime. Tyson never really fought anyone who knew how to use their reach to their advantage, as effectivly as ali did with lightening quick jabs , double jabs and excellent footwork. id see ali taking this one by decision , as well as that i think alot of people who fought tyson in his prime where beatin before they even stepped into the ring, he had that intimidation factor about him, something i dont think ali would of been affected by.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

No one has mentioned Holyfield -similar to Ali not a huge heavyweight and, arguably a boxer instead of a puncher. Not saying it was in Tyson's primer or that Evander is in Ali's league. But, Evander has class defense and was not intimidated by Tyson. I think both those factors would, for me, argue that Ali would have been able to handle Tyson. Wonder what part of Ali would Tyson have bit off?

• Advertisement

PhotogTom wrote: »
    No one has mentioned Holyfield -similar to Ali not a huge heavyweight and, arguably a boxer instead of a puncher. Not saying it was in Tyson's primer or that Evander is in Ali's league. But, Evander has class defense and was not intimidated by Tyson. I think both those factors would, for me, argue that Ali would have been able to handle Tyson. Wonder what part of Ali would Tyson have bit off?

His tongue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

CorkMan wrote: »
    Ali took Fraziers, Listons, hardest punches and was standing. He took Foremans and Shavers, both of who definitely hit harder than Tyson and was standing. IMO a bomb from Tyson (if he was able land one) wouldn't mess up Ali a lot.

Think of the James "Quick" Tillis fights, which was the 1st full fight Tyson found. Ali was quicker than Tillis, had a superior jab and superior chin, just superior in all aspects.

How can you be so sure who hit harder? It's not possible to tell. Remember, each man had a different punch technique. Tyson used ridiculous speed and power (shorter shots). Foreman was heavy heavy handed. Foreful blows. I cannot se how anyone can say who hit harder between a Foreman, Liston, Shavers or Tyson.

I will say though, that Mike's style and combination and delivery of shots would PROBABLY be more dangerous and lethal.

Look at the Foreman-Ali bout. Would Mike's shots be as telegraphed and wide and wild? I doubt it. Also, Clay and Ali rode most of Liston's shots.

At peak, Mike beat a ange of different men. Big, small, tall, fast, slow etc. No man really came close to beating
    him. Noboday can say that the opposition was bad. It was not. Even Ruddock after Mike had lost his title, was
    a very dangerous and big opponent. Mike beat him twice, ruined him really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭horizon26

Boooourns wrote: »
    I also think Foreman would beat Tyson.

Foreman would hammer Tyson inside 5 rounds no doubt..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

walshb wrote: »
    I will say though, that Mike's style and combination and delivery of shots would PROBABLY be more dangerous and lethal.

Did Tyson ever fight in climate even remotely close to what was experienced in the Rumble in the Jungle? I dont think he did. IMO, climate was a big factor in that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

For me the fight goes 2 ways ,

1 Tyson gets to Ali early and stops him within 4/5 rounds
    Ali never faced anyone with a start like Tyson .Tyson in his prime had the most explosive start of any heavyweight I have ever seen. I think his power ,hand speed and ability to close down a ring early in fights would see him get to Ali in the early rounds and I honestly could not see Ali been able to live with his power .

or

2 Ali gets on his toes and survives the early onslaught ,Gets a foot hold and his boxing brain gets him on top . His beautiful jab comes in play And he would go on to a comfortable points victory .

I personally slightly favour options 1 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Well said Rockman, i think your 2 ways are accurate and in 10 fights it could go 5-5 in my opinion, Anyone want to join me on the fence!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Depends on how hungry Tyson is ;)

Well he survived 2 bouts with Liston, 1 with foreman and 2 out of 3 bouts with Frazer so somehow i think he would live with Tyson no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

Great question OP. I wish there was any HW around now that could even be discussed in the same breath as Ali and Tyson.

I'd have to say Ali. Class wins in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Detour wrote: »
    Great question OP. I wish there was any HW around now that could even be discussed in the same breath as Ali and Tyson.

I'd have to say Ali. Class wins in the end.

Dont mean to be funny but Vitali could easily grace the same ring as both, just because he has no competition able to live with him he should not get knocked, he's 1 of the most dominant heavies ever

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement