Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated Youtube App on the Market

Options
  • 21-10-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice update I have to say :)
    The Youtube application has received both an update and a new method of delivery today, with Google launching their redesigned application onto the Android market. This move is not entirely unexpected, as Google has recently brought other core applications such as Gmail and Google search to the Android market, which allows users to customize their Android experience by deciding which applications they do/don’t want on their phone.

With this version update, the Youtube application brings pretty significant changes in both user interface and functionality. Upon launch, users are provided a personalized video feed based on their preferences as well as general popular videos. The new UI makes the application simpler to use, and adds easy access to take a video using Camcorder as well as video search on the main screen.

One of the bigger feature additions is the ability to view videos in portrait mode, allowing you to simultaneously watch videos on top as well as view information, user comments, and related videos below. The informational tabs can be changed with the swipe of a finger. Additionally, users can like/dislike videos or share them with your Facebook, Google Buzz, and Twitter friends while in landscape mode. You can also easily view and subscribe to channels from within the application.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of the changes Google has brought to the Youtube application, as Google has yet to formally announce the update. We will be sure to update this post once Google formally makes the announcement. If you have Android 2.2 (or 2.2.1), head over to the Android market and download the Youtube application to check it out for yourselves.
    http://goo.gl/wS1q

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

It's a big big improvement. Scrubbing is much better, interface is sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Yey, portrait playback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Linky not worky, me sad:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Gucky wrote: »
    Linky not worky, me sad:mad:
    Same for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Had to manual install the updated version from the Market. (running froyo JPM)

Very nice UI update - I like it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

nothing showing up for me yet .. i guess in time ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

my download keeps failing to install :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

It does look a lot better but the one thing I miss is the option to check out the most popular viseos of the day/week/month. Maybe it's something I'm missing as only messed around with it for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

my download keeps failing to install :(

Have you enough free space on the phone memory - most common cause of install issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Where can you find the app? Tried searching for youtube in the market but no joy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@Random - the app didn't show up as an update. I had to download it as a new app, and it installed over the old version. (new version is 2.0.26)

@niallo. Try searching for any google app - click to view the app details - click "View more applications" and see if youtube is listed. If not... I'm not sure what else to try sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Here's the QR code for anyone still looking.

search%3Fq%3Dpname:com.google.android.youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Looks like its just for 2.2 according to this:

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/10/21/youtube-android-22-market/

kippy wrote: »
    Have you enough free space on the phone memory - most common cause of install issues.

nope, rooted and installing to sd

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

apparently what you need to do is delete the original youtube app and reinstall, but I'm still having difficulty,

this has worked for some people:

go to titanium backup
    uninstall the youtube app
    reboot
    install the youtube app from the market,

If this doesn't work you can try using adb to delete the apk file (I'm getting permission denied but will look at it further later on).

you could also try the following in terminal emulator:

rm /system/app/YouTube.apk

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Worked for me no problems. Just searched for "Youtube" on the app market and installed from there.
    Perhaps the rooted version you have is missing some components that this app needs to install Johnny........

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I got this working but had to use adb to delete the old version from /system/app directory

Not ideal.
    another option is to go into the zip file of your ROM and delete the YouTube.apk file and reinstall the ROM though thats not ideal either.

Glad I got it sorted but I don't really use youtube that much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

kippy wrote: »
    Worked for me no problems. Just searched for "Youtube" on the app market and installed from there.
    Perhaps the rooted version you have is missing some components that this app needs to install Johnny........

Same here, and I must admit, newer version its sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Have just installed this in a hope to solve a problem I had with the old youtube app and youtube.com when you visit it on the browser but I still have the same problem. Basically I'm looking to play the track "Mr Lif - Pull Out Your Cut", I want the original version. If I go to youtube.com on my laptop, it's the 2nd result after a DJ Hype remix, I can't find it AT ALL on my phone though? It's happened with more than this but just using this as an example. Has anyone any idea?

Also, I've tried numerous times to install the latest "Maps" version but each time it's unsuccessful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

That second part sounds like the Market app bug, try clear the data in Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, Market.

• Advertisement

That didn't work I'm afraid :( Thanks for the suggestion!

Just noticed the current version of maps I have is 4.4.0brut16, I think this may be a modded version that came with my ROM? Maybe this is why it won't update, but I don't know how to update it now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

cormie wrote: »
    Just noticed the current version of maps I have is 4.4.0brut16, I think this may be a modded version that came with my ROM? Maybe this is why it won't update, but I don't know how to update it now :confused:

Uninstall it with Titanium Backup then try install standard maps from the market
    (back it up too 1st just in case)

Thanks, I might just leave it, I don't think it's got too much more than the current version has anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks, I might just leave it, I don't think it's got too much more than the current version has anyway :)

Just downloaded it there. Its much better than the old version!

Never did manage to get this to install either despite multiple methods. Changed to leeDroid and now no problem

Advertisement