Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hey,
    Well I seem to be in a bit of a situation at the moment. I have to get work experience next week for LCVP but all the places I have emailed so far have either no places left or have simply not replied.
    I was just wondering if anybody knew a recording studio that would take me on with such short notice?
    I'm in Dublin, around 15 minutes from the city centre.

All the best,
    Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

well dont email ;)

you'll get better results by walking into the reception, introducing yourself and explaining your situation. this industry is very much person to person, making contacts and all that stuff..

in our place we'd be more inclined to take someone in that we saw in person. i would say to pop out and have a chat but next week isnt good (new client's first session).

theres a few decent lads with studios on here, maybe one of them might be able to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mark2229

Cheers for the advice DamagedTrax :)
    I'l head into town tomorrow and go into a few places and just explain my situation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Even check out the wording of the emails you do send.

Instead of asking for a job/work experience ask for a meeting at an agreeable time for you and someone from the business to meet. It works for anything really.
    In that instance you are showing some consideration by getting an appointment of sorts instead of heading in off the street and interrupting someones day, even for a few minutes.

The likelihood of annoying someone by popping up randomly is low but the point is you come off better by arranging a time to discuss a job/work placement compared to popping up randomly. Whether they respond to your email is down to if they are busy etc but personally I believe that ignoring emails of any nature that isn't spam is unprofessional. When I was running a rehearsal studio over the Summer I had about 8 people ask for work experience. I was never in a position to take anyone on but I made sure that I replied to let them know and if I could, advise them in any way I could.

Best o luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Someones already ahead:

tom.jpg

Advertisement