Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bru na Gruadan, Limerick

Options
  • 20-10-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I posted this in the accommodation forum but got no replies.

I recently viewed an apartment for rent in Bru na Gruadan. Myself and my girlfriend loved it but we're not from Limerick. I wanted to get some opinions from people who know the area about what it's like.

I guess the main thing we're looking for is somewhere quiet. I know there's a student village at the back of this development. Are there many parties? Much noise in general? Is it a safe area? Will I be able to hear my neighbour through the floor/wall?

Link below showing the area I'm talking about. I really appreciate any info at all.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.009162&z=17

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

like every area it depends, lots of rental accomodation around there and students, drive around there on a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday night and see what the atmosphere is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

drive around there on a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday night and see what the atmosphere is like.

I agree with this point. If you do drive around the area dont do it this week or next week as its the mid-term break and you probably wont get a true sense of the area, most of the students will be gone home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Have they fixed the roads in there? It was like some place that had been shelled the last time I was there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its 49% Eastern Europeans, 49% Students and 2% Out of Towners - Highlights are Funderland and visiting Circuses.

- Best bet is to always carry an Aldi Bag, A Traffic Cone and A Ringmasters Whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

Hi OP,

A friend of mine is from Castletroy in Limk and he was saying that Bru na Gruadan has gotten a bit rougher in recent years. This is only one opinion though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Thanks guys. Opinions are what I'm looking for.

I might have a look out towards Annacotty. Salmon Weir looks nice. If anyone has opinions about that area I'd also love to hear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Shane_S

dude id stay away from Bru na Grudan and salmon weir genuinely!

if i were u id look inot movin into Cois Ghruada

if u go through the groody roundabout and onto the next roundabout and up to the very top of the hill its a lovely place! but bru na grudan is 50/50
    Students/Scum . . . IMO

and i know pple livin there

I know someone living in Cois Ghruda and it is a lovely place but they told me there's hardly any sound insulation between upstairs and downstairs apartments. They can hear footsteps and voices pretty clearly through the ceiling and it's kept them awake more than one night. That's something that would drive me insane to be honest.

I thought Annacotty was meant to be a nice area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

nathan184 wrote: »
    I know someone living in Cois Ghruda and it is a lovely place but they told me there's hardly any sound insulation between upstairs and downstairs apartments. They can hear footsteps and voices pretty clearly through the ceiling and it's kept them awake more than one night. That's something that would drive me insane to be honest.

I thought Annacotty was meant to be a nice area?

Annacotty is a nice area, but honestly, you're just going to have to see these places for yourself, half the people on here are shut-in's who think walking their dog is a wild adventure.

If you ask about anywhere from Ennis to Nenagh you'll get a split between people who view it as fine and people who swear it's more dangerous than Jaurez.

nathan184 wrote: »
    Try finding anything built in the last few years that isn't built like a portakabin. I rent in a semi-d and I can tell if it's number 1s or number 2s they're going for next door. And I'm half deaf. I just don't need that level of detail on my neighbours toilet activities....

edit - by next door I don't mean other people in "my" house - I mean actually nextdoor.
    They smoke next door and it comes through into our house - there's obviously airgaps all over the place.
    BER "B rating from plans" hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

In recent Buildings from the past few years you'll commonly hear the Neighbours Electric Shower every morning from 6.32am, Plugs being plugged in and removed as clear as day. TV, music, fighting, headboard knockin'.....

- Sometimes you'll even hear the the Neighbours adventures stories when they come back from walking their Dog!!!

Thanks God the Developers were all sound decent People who charged fair prices and we don't have to spend the next 20 years paying for their fcuk ups.

:(

Rent is dead money tho, think of the benefits of owning one of these houses - you won't need to buy an alarm clock if your neighbours already have - the one will do both houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

I live in Bru na Grudan and think its perfect, been here 3 years now. The roads have all been fixed and there is a new opening now at the other side so you dont even have to go in the Groody entrance if you live on that side.

Plenty of Eastern Europeans living here but they are all families and are lovely from my expereince. A few families go around in their PJs all day but I have never had hassle with them.

It was definitely rougher 2 years back.

Walls can be thin so you would want to check out the neighbours first.

Never have I been kept awake by parties or students but I think it might be more 4th years or Postgraduates down my side of it.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Meriva man

I lived in Annacotty for nearly 3 years . most estates are good and quiet. I lived in Salmonweir myself loved it and moroever you are not too far from anything . Houses inRiver bank arent great for heating i was told.
    Good luck

Thanks for the help everyone. Viewed a Salmon Weir house today but it was snapped up before I could make up my mind!

I think the more houses I view the faster I'll be to make up my mind when I eventually see the right one. I'll keep viewing houses for a while.

Advertisement