Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac : 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 vs 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Options
  • 20-10-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi. After much thought, I have decided to purchase the iMac (27 inch).
    Not sure which one to go for. Have done some research but to be honest I find it all confusing. Many conflicting opinions.
    I'll be using it to run Logic Pro 9 along with Omnisphere, Trilian, Reason 5, Stylus RMX, Komplete 7....

Also, might get Final Cut Express later on.

I use lots of 3rd party plug-ins, and sometimes have to freeze my tracks on my Macbook Pro.

Would the i5 be quicker, and i7 be more stable or how does it work?
    Which would be the better machine to run Logic 9 and all my plug in/effects?

Zak.

PS: Would hyper-threading or Turbo boost benefit me in using Logic 9 ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

not to sure about the mac side but i use an i7 920 2.66 PC and its a monster. totally smokes the i5 family. its cabapable of being clocked to nearly 4 ghz but i have it sitting nicely at 3.

intel have sorted out hyperthreading these days and i can run protools with hyperthreading turned on. if protools will play ball with it then im sure logic will too.

stay away from turbo boost if possible. it causes quite a few cpu spikes on both mac and pc.

also the i7 is easily upgraded, so if i wanna go up to the new 980 i can just pop out the old processor and pop the new one in. change a few timings and all is good but you have to stay within family as the motherboards differ.. ie: you cant go from i5 family to i7 family without an entire new mobo.

also with i7 you can take advantage of triple channel ddr3 ram and unlike a pc you could pack that into your mac and use it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

I'm using an i5 for M Powered PT and it's a rocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I believe I posted here before asking pretty much the exact same question.

In the end I went for the i7 after much research and many headaches, and I'm glad I did. So far it's been able to handle everything I've thrown at it quickly and easily (running lots of plug-ins, virtual instruments and audio on PT LE).

I admit I haven't had the opportunity to try the i5, but I'm happy enough to say the i7 is a good investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

also the i7 is easily upgraded, so if i wanna go up to the new 980 i can just pop out the old processor and pop the new one in. change a few timings and all is good but you have to stay within family as the motherboards differ.. ie: you cant go from i5 family to i7 family without an entire new mobo.

Do you know if it's the same for laptops, would I be able to upgrade an i7 to another i7?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

thanks for input guys...still undecided...probably leaning towards the i7....not sure if the extra cash is worth it...

then there's quad core i5 versus quad core i7 !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Zak Flaps wrote: »

then there's quad core i5 versus quad core i7 !!!!

were we not talking about the quads? at the prices to go lower than a quad would be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

were we not talking about the quads? at the prices to go lower than a quad would be silly.

no...the 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 isn't quad-core...
    although there is a quad-core i5...the 2.8GHz quad-core i5....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Basically, the i7 is more powerful than the i5, which in turn is more powerful than the i3..

I would go with the highest you can afford.. Clock speed is just one measurement of the power, but cache etc all play a big part..
    As it's a Mac, unfortunately you have limited capacity to lower the price via the removal of non critical components (i.e. i7 with embedded gfx as opposed to i5 with discreet gfx).

Sandybridge will be released fairly soon though.. So that will also complicate your decision :) .. it will likely be a big jump forward.. but you need to check when Apple and other OEM's are scheduled to release products.

Advertisement