Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karting on a budget

Options
  • 20-10-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I have found an asian company who manufacture 110-250cc four stroke racing karts,I have been reading some threads on other websites and this is the future they say,mostly because of their reliability and low emmisions,they,re no slouches either as they can do speeds up to 125kmph and cost less than 1000USD to buy directly from the manufacturers. Might be worth a look in the present economic climate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The initial purchase cost is usually pittance compared to the rest of your expenses. That said, GX160 "clones" are doing very well over in the US, dogged slow but great way to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mickoh

the link is on the alibaba website,check out the company's own website for models and enquire for a price list.
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/336238070/20HP_RACING_KARTING.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmm any of the cheap Chinese knock off motocross bikes are pure sh*te and fall apart in no time and don't have a hope of being anyway competitive against a proper motocross bike.

I think a class the likes of TKM is far better in terms of budget karting, the engines are very very simple (2stroke) and the choice of chassis is open.

That may be the case alright,but the chinese economy is one of the strongest in the world at the moment,in fact it is predicted that they will be a world superpower within a few years,they are like Japan was 40 years ago,people laughed at japanese cars at that time but they are not laughing at them now as they build some of the most reliable cars on the market.I know for a fact that build quality has improved in China by and large,although there's always few cowboys no matter where you go.The americans have been using some of these chinese karts for years now as a cheap alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 BoB_DoG

Doesn't look too bad, 20 Hp is Ok for a beginner (adult) kart. It says its 250 cc as well so it can't be too high a state of tune at that. It even has front discs in the pic! Cant argue with the price as well.

Is anyone here involved in the Midlands Championship (Longford)?

Mickoh did you buy and test one yet? TBH the only way you are going to get people into this is to put your money where your mouth is, or so to speak. Import two and go from there. Get some specs, broschures and stuff together

Drop the front brakes though to save cash, pointless on a kart like that.

/edit just read their MOQ is 5, meh im sure if you were talking to them about possibly importing them they'd cut you a deal

Its me again,I've taken the dive and ordered a sample of one of the 250 karts,so I'll wait for it to arrive and then will test the wheels off it.Will get back on to report back how I get on with it.

Cool. Any idea what it will cost by the time the wheels are ready to hit the track?

I ordered the 20 hp version with 5 speeds,no reverse.The cost is 800 US dollars + 100 dollars because its a sample.I am in negotiations with the company about delivery,they will only deliver as far as Dublin port,I am trying to get them to use a company like DHL or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Any update on this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

mickoh wrote: »
    I ordered the 20 hp version with 5 speeds,no reverse.The cost is 800 US dollars + 100 dollars because its a sample.I am in negotiations with the company about delivery,they will only deliver as far as Dublin port,I am trying to get them to use a company like DHL or similar.

Beware of the possible customs duties.

Sounds great though, my 8 year old wants to do more karting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eadgbedown

I would also like to know more info about this kart..looks a serious piece of kit. When ya get the kart give us a fair appresial of it..just sounds to good to be true, i know that the karting world are going away from 2 strokes from 2014 for emmisions reasons.and to be honest there are to many inferior and sometimes dangerous products coming out of china...
    And as stated earlier..watch for exise payments you could get caught for this tax..

eadgbedown wrote: »
    I would also like to know more info about this kart..looks a serious piece of kit. When ya get the kart give us a fair appresial of it..just sounds to good to be true, i know that the karting world are going away from 2 strokes from 2014 for emmisions reasons..

Source?
    eadgbedown wrote: »
    I would also like to know more info about this And as stated earlier..watch for exise payments you could get caught for this tax..

I don't think there's a hope in hell of getting a kart through customs without getting "cought". Best off budgeting for it.

Advertisement