Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neuroscience vs. Biochemistry

Options
  • 20-10-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

im a second yr biological science, have to choose my degree at the end of this year, anyone have any tips on either neuro or biochem? iv narrowed it down to those two, i think id be more interested in neuro but biochem might be a bit more useful? =/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

im a second yr biological science, have to choose my degree at the end of this year, anyone have any tips on either neuro or biochem? iv narrowed it down to those two, i think id be more interested in neuro but biochem might be a bit more useful? =/

Hey

Just gone into 3rd year biochem myself and lovin it for the most part. I did my work experience in a lab of neuroscience PHD's so i can kinda give a view on that side of things as well. Biochem is a great course and covers a wide spectrum(well at least in thrid year anyway). The class is small enough with about 35-40 in the class i think.The lecturers are great and for the most part stimulate you to be interested in whats being covered. On the jobs front theres numerous areas you can go into but the positions available would be lesser that previous years obviously due to the big R :p .

Each of the PHD students i asked that were doing neuroscience couldn't really give a definite answer of what job prospects they had coming out of their degree/PHD, and weren't sure if their employment would had anything to do with neuro. But what they did say was that they enjoyed what they were doing and wouldn't change even if they could. One summed it up as they have the knowledge of a neuro-surgeon but just cant do surgery :)

So from my point of view i would say biochem would maybe have better job prospects and the likes, but on the other hand you said you are interested in neuro more than biochem. No point going through two more years of biochem just so you potentially get a job and always regretting you didn't do neuro because you would have enjoyed it more.

You have the rest of the year to see how you get on with biochem to see if you enjoy it. Also im assuming you are doing anatomy and physiology modules this year which you should give you a bit of insight of what to expect in neuro.

If you have any more questions about it feel free to ask or pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

Employers will not give a toss what your degree is in - they'll only look at the "BSc" part - also, will not care If it is honours or pass - this only matters in Academia - I have a 1H degree in Biochem and an MSc in Neuropharmacology - I'm working as an operator in a factory (lucky to have a job I suppose but everything I studied at college is irrelevant to the job) - my advice would be to do the course you prefer - and continue on with it for as long as possible, i.e. a phd and preferably abroad!

Advertisement