Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marshall and Joyce in Ireland squad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

@Dasbo, Darn you beat me by two minutes :D,

great news for Ireland, they should add a lot of experience to the team...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Dasbo

Sorry Cremated!

Ya its great news...but they're still not officially Irish players yet.

Hopefully the ICC will grant them dispensation...however I'm not holding my breath. With the World Cup being reduced to 10 teams in 2015 - I can envisage them doing everything they can to make sure Ireland stay out of that top 10.

Well that's true, but they can't stop them joining, but they can stop them for the World Cup :(...

Exactly...if they don't play in those WC matches that's 5 less matches against test playing nations where Ireland could pick up huge ranking points.

Hopefully the ICC will come to their senses and reinstate the current format for 2015 - the change will do nothing for the game on a global level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Awesome.

Now all we need is some games to play.
    Screw you ICC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

With any luck theyll get to play in the WC, well beat 2 or 3 full test members and the ICC will yet again be made to look stupid, this time about the debacle of the 2015 WC.

All we can do is what we are doing; beat the teams around us consistantly and pick up scalps when we play full member nations. Beating Australia during the summer would have helped our cause a lot I feel, but we will win games if given the chance to play them.

This WC is going to be huge for the associates as it is potentially the last time we will be able to make a statement as to why we should be included in tournaments going forward. Some big upsets need to happen at this WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Even if they do happen, the reality is that the same people we will be making statements by beating or running close are the people who want to keep the game for themselves.

Its just all so much bullsh!t.

djimi wrote: »
    All we can do is what we are doing; beat the teams around us consistantly and pick up scalps when we play full member nations. Beating Australia during the summer would have helped our cause a lot I feel, but we will win games if given the chance to play them.

The problem is Ireland never get a chance to play the games that matter. It's all well and good having series against the West Indies, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

But what Ireland needs is series' against Australia, India and England - funnily enough the three main members of the committee who came up with the idea to restructure the 2015 WC are David Collier (England), James Sutherland (Australia) and N Srinivasan (India) - one would think they're running scared and trying to avoid the associates.

I have no question they are running scared. They have a nice little monopoly of the ICC funding and from what I can see they are doing everything in their power to keep their greedy little hands on it.

The entire international cricket scene needs a complete overhaul, unfortunately its not going to happen while the ICC is made up of full member nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

As much as I do not want them to play for Ireland, CI hope to get them.

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES3/articles/000050/005065.shtml

• Advertisement

Why would you not want them to play for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

Why would you not want them to play for Ireland?

I have stated them in the other thread.

Joyce Allowed, Marshall Not
    http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES3/articles/000050/005089.shtml

Great news, a bit disappointed about Marshall, but to have Joyce there will be a big boost to the team...

Its a great boost but will cause the selectors a few headaches I'd say with Porterfield, Joyce, Stirling, Wilson, O'Brien, Botha, Cusack all capable of batting in the top 4.

Good problem to have though!

Its a great pity about Marshall, but I can understand why he was denied. Looking forward to watching him in the green shirt against England in Clontarf next year!

Dasbo wrote: »
    Its a great boost but will cause the selectors a few headaches I'd say with Porterfield, Joyce, Stirling, Wilson, O'Brien, Botha, Cusack all capable of batting in the top 4.

I would have thought the two openers will stay the same with Niall O'Brien at three and Joyce at four, he will help hold the middle order together, which has collapsed before...

Cremated wrote: »
    I would have thought the two openers will stay the same with Niall O'Brien at three and Joyce at four, he will help hold the middle order together, which has collapsed before...

True, the openers are certs. Would love to see Joyce at three as he's capable of scoring big - but you're right about the need for stability in the middle.

I think Wilson is a huge talent in the middle order, but still lacks a bit of experience. If he gets a good run in the Surrey side next season - he could be another one to catch England's eye.

Wilson is a player I like, a bit like Kevin O'Brien, when wickets fall he can go in and restore stability,

also Joyce if needed can open, he does it for Sussex so no reason why he can't for Ireland, where did Joyce play when he was last with Ireland?, though I would say he has improved a lot since then...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Wilson is a player I like, a bit like Kevin O'Brien, when wickets fall he can go in and restore stability,

That's not a role I would normally associate with KOB, but he's been batting excellently recently.
    also Joyce if needed can open, he does it for Sussex so no reason why he can't for Ireland, where did Joyce play when he was last with Ireland?, though I would say he has improved a lot since then...

He opened, as far as I know. I think they might open with Joyce & Porterfield and push Stirling to 3.

TrueDub wrote: »
    That's not a role I would normally associate with KOB, but he's been batting excellently recently.

He opened, as far as I know. I think they might open with Joyce & Porterfield and push Stirling to 3.

Well the reason I put KOB there is during the World Cricket League, especially the Scotland game when the wicket wasn't helping anyone and he and John Mooney held firm, and Stirling at 3 could be good, but would you want someone more attacking to open,

just I don't see Porterfield going for the boundaries as much as Stirling would, and I would think Joyce's job would be to bat through to the end...

Ireland's tour of India result:

Invitational XI 257-7 (45 overs) Kevin O'Brien 4 wkts.

Ireland XI 258-8 (44.2 overs) Ed Joyce 68, Trent Johnston 46*, Porterfield and Stirling both in 40s.

Ireland win by 2 wickets.

H Marshall, A Botha, N Jones, A Poynter, G Wilson and A Cusack did not play.

Great to have Ed back and scoring runs!

• Advertisement

Great to see Ed with 68 and Trent back in the runs, and so close to the 50, and so Marshall didn't play, so is he able to play any form of game for Ireland now?,

I presume not, and he is just in as a Coach for the moment?...

Great to see Ed with 68 and Trent back in the runs, and so close to the 50, and so Marshall didn't play, so is he able to play any form of game for Ireland now?,

I presume not, and he is just in as a Coach for the moment?...

He's able to play any match that's not an official ICC sanctioned international match.

So that means he can play in the practice matches in India. However, I would say he most likely won't play much after he wasn't granted dispensation.

Still though, his experience at international level should make him a great mentor to the younger lads...from what I have heard he is very interested in the coaching side of things.

I hope this means he will be kept around the Irish camp in the build up to, and during, the world cup.

Ah okay thanks for that, and do you know what the batting order was like?...

Ah okay thanks for that, and do you know what the batting order was like?...

I don't know what the batting order was...will let you know if I find out.

Dasbo wrote: »
    Still though, his experience at international level should make him a great mentor to the younger lads...from what I have heard he is very interested in the coaching side of things.

I hope this means he will be kept around the Irish camp in the build up to, and during, the world cup.

I think the arrangement is that he is coming over here to play and learn his way as a coach isnt it? I agree, hell be a great asset to have around the team even if he is not playing.

I think the arrangement is that he is coming over here to play and learn his way as a coach isnt it? I agree, hell be a great asset to have around the team even if he is not playing.

Yes I think that coaching was one of the main reasons why Cricket Ireland got him on board.

What do you reckon the chances of coaxing his brother over are? :D

Ireland's tour of India result: 2nd match

Ireland: 301-9 - Cusack 100* retired, H Marshall 72, A White 34, N Jones 26

Pune: 83 all out - A Eastwood 3 wkts, N Jones, G Dockrell and A van der Merwe 2 wkts each

Ireland XI beat Puna by 218 runs

Does anyone think it's getting safe to say we are getting used to the conditions?, that is a massive victory, and nice to see Marshall getting runs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jj_irl

Frankly who knows what the standard of the opposition was today...

Great to see Cusack back scoring runs after surgery. Such a strong team these days, fantastic potential for 2011

• Advertisement
Advertisement