Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick a number, any number between 2012 and 2112

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

no one knows when it actually will - or if it has already
    Doubt it TBH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

thats the thing I'd like ta know meself, Tis based I believe on a concept called the 'Precession'where the Zodics move backwards or somesuch, anyway, long story short its measured by how 'Low' the constelations get relative to an observation point on a date, there have been mutterings about it fir ages with all this aquarius lark, but the MAyan calender might b well calculated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

If you guys would watch all the lectures posted especially all the free ones on google video you would have come to this conclusion like me a long time ago.Ive seen them all in the space of a year i think back in 2009,mostly during and after the summer and while i have no immediate recollection of details especially about venus(iwatched too many of them!) i got a general impression that there were alot of different "correct" views including the official ones from NASA and hd already settled in myself from lectures that the date for 2012 on those calendars are likely to be of by as much as 600 years.but il except 100 years also.

If your fishing for a fun game of picking dates for the end of the world or a governments and world take over im going to peg 2022 or somewhere around then.dont ask me why it just feels right if its going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Moving the goalposts

Meaning
    Changing the target of a process or competition to by one side in order to gain advantage.

Origin
    This phrase is a straightforward derivation from sports that use goalposts, i.e. Football, Rugby Football, American Football etc. The figurative use alludes to the perceived unfairness in changing the goal one is trying to achieve after the process one is engaged in has already started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

The goal being the truth or misinformation? :D
    I see moved goal posts all over the shop hehe
    My old religion was renowned for moving the times for the end of the world which is a bit of a strong hint to my past maybe lol

• Advertisement

It depends on what you are referring to when you say truth and misinformation of course. The world is/was never going to end on 2012 those who believe otherwise will probably be jumping on this piece of news so as to prolong their inevitable embarrassment when the year changes and we're all still here doing exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

First, the only people who think the world will end on 2012 are religious fanatics and people who believe bad Hollywood movies.

Second, just because a textbook says something doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Most people who actually know something about 2012 believe the Mayan prophecy simply states 2012 will be the end of an age/era, which is true to some extent. The precession of the equinox is currently changing from the age of Pisces to the age of Aquarius.

Some people believe this will bring a new global consciousness. When you look at all the truther videos and protests against the G20/NWO you can see there may be some truth to this belief.

First, the only people who think the world will end on 2012 are religious fanatics and people who believe bad Hollywood movies.
    You sir, need to read back over some past threads. :)
    Most people who actually know something about 2012 believe the Mayan prophecy simply states 2012 will be the end of an age/era, which is true to some extent. The precession of the equinox is currently changing from the age of Pisces to the age of Aquarius.

Some people believe this will bring a new global consciousness. When you look at all the truther videos and protests against the G20/NWO you can see there may be some truth to this belief.
    Or...

tumblr_kxpmmnFtnF1qa9qf5o1_400.jpg

gizmo wrote: »
    You sir, need to read back over some past threads. :)

Or...
    Axial precession is the movement of the rotational axis of an astronomical body, whereby the axis slowly traces out a cone. In the case of the Earth, this type of precession is also known as the precession of the equinoxes or precession of the equator. The Earth goes through one such complete precessional cycle in a period of approximately 26,000 years, during which the positions of stars as measured in the equatorial coordinate system will slowly change; the change is actually due to the change of the coordinates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession#Astronomy
    The Age of Aquarius is either the current or new age in the cycle of astrological ages. Each astrological age is approximately 2,150 years long, on average, but there are various methods of calculating this length that may yield longer or shorter time spans depending upon the technique used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Aquarius

Just because you are unaware of something doesn't make it less true. The Mayans had a profound understanding of astronomy and could calculate astronomical events with great accuracy. 26,000 / 12 = 2166 years roughly, so every 2166 years the earth is in line with a new constellation.

The read back over previous threads thing was meant to indicate that a few posters do believe in some of those more out there ideas.

As for the rest of it, I'd be happy to take it on board were it not for the fact that I regard astrology as a complete pile of rubbish. :)

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    The read back over previous threads thing was meant to indicate that a few posters do believe in some of those more out there ideas.

As for the rest of it, I'd be happy to take it on board were it not for the fact that I regard astrology as a complete pile of rubbish. :)

Astronomy =/= astrology.
    Astronomy is a natural science that deals with the study of celestial objects (such as stars, planets, comets, nebulae, star clusters and galaxies) and phenomena that originate outside the Earth's atmosphere (such as the cosmic background radiation). It is concerned with the evolution, physics, chemistry, meteorology, and motion of celestial objects, as well as the formation and development of the universe.

So, do you see what I'm actually talking about now? Astronomy has nothing to do with star signs, predicting the future, or whatever else astrologists do. No point having this discussion if you don't know what astronomy actually entails.

Astronomy =/= astrology.

So, do you see what I'm actually talking about now? Astronomy has nothing to do with star signs, predicting the future, or whatever else astrologists do. No point having this discussion if you don't know what astronomy actually entails.
    I'm quite aware of the distinction however your third quoted paragraph makes specific mention of astrology twice as well as the assertion that the Age of Aquarius and it's end will somehow signify some change. This is what I dismissed in my reply.

Advertisement