Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Hair Colours

Options
  • 20-10-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

can anyone suggest a good at home semi-colour in black. I know some black colours can look a bit dry & "raven-like". I'm just looking for something a bit silky that will shine & well just not look dull I guess.
    I know that depends a bit on my hair too, but I've currently no colour in it & it's in pretty good condition, so I've high hopes :D

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I find that for a natural looking black colour, the best bet is to go with a darkest brown shade, especially if you have a warm skin tone - a lot of black dyes come out with a bluish sheen and not everyone can pull that off. Plus, go for a stage 2 dye (28 washes) rather than a permanent one as not only is it better for your hair and easier to change colours from, but the colour itself tends to be much better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Teasey

Absolutely agree with the last post

I'm naturally medium brown and tried a lot of blacks but they kinda made me look like a cartoon character! They are very harsh and should only be tried for a really dramatic look - they are not natural looking at all

I would recommend the darkest brown of the Boots Botanics range - its semi-permanent so it lasts quite long but fades rather than grows out so you will get gradually lighter rather than have root regrowth - so it looks more natural all the way through the cycle and you might even be able to go longer without re-touching. It will also be less harsh than layering up the permanent dyes. The conditioner that comes with it also lasts for a couple more washes and makes your hair really silky

This is just from personal experience though - as you said, everyones hair is different so it can be a bit of trial and error

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

Also on the subject of jet black, it can be very hard to get out of your hair, it doesn't stain the same way a dark dark brown would. That's what the hair dresser told me anyway when she was trying to get rid of my botch job home hair dye

Advertisement