Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tongue piercing question

Options
  • 20-10-2010 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

I am planning on getting my tongue pierced the 30th of october. my graduation is on the 28th, is this ok? also im head up to galway the 27th of november for a night out and was wondering is this enough healing time for the piercing? some people said it takes 6-8 weeks before you can drink again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Hococop wrote: »
    I am planning on getting my tongue pierced the 30th of october. my graduation is on the 28th, is this ok? also im head up to galway the 27th of november for a night out and was wondering is this enough healing time for the piercing? some people said it takes 6-8 weeks before you can drink again
    Healing time varies from person to person but it can also depend on your piercer. You should keep the tongue as cool as possible, plenty of cold water, especially first thing in the morning. Sucking small amounts of crushed ice will also keep swelling at bay. Avoid smoking, spicey food and seeds/ nuts etc. Do not bite or play with the balls. It will hurt. Like wise don't let anyone else bite the balls.
    If possible, get it pierced by someone using blades, not canullas. Blades have a faster healing time due to their smaller size (a 1.6 blade has a diameter of 1.6mm, a 1.6 canulla has a diameter of 2.1mm so they bleed more and take longer to heal)
    Drinking is not a problem but don't forget you have a fresh wound in your mouth and so some spirits will sting.Also don't forget that when you're drunk advice like "don't let anyone else bite the balls" tends to be forgotten about.
    Above all enjoy the piercing and enjoy your graduation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Bi6N

The swelling afterwards was a pain for me, but I found it was grand after a day or two. I carryed around a bottle of ice cold water with added sea salt.
    I'd rinse it 2 or 3 times a day, after meals etc never had any issues.

Just take good care of it, Pierced off has all the bases covered :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

When I had mine done it was swollen for maybe the first two days max, after that it was totally sound, I drank a week later and was fine, sucking ice is great for the first day aswell, good luck with it, dont stress about it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 deathana

As long as you take good care of it, it'll heal in time. The 1st day is the most painful, but after that you'll be grand. But again, that'll vary for different person. Sucking on ice and keeping it cool is good advice. Good luck with the piercing and enjoy your graduation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Darkdream

hi,
    I had mine done ages ago, and I'll tell it hurt a bit talking for the first week, after that the swelling slowly went away. But as evreybody before me said..keep it clean, drink loads of fresh water and rinse it as ofter as you can.
    congrats on your grad.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ice cubed

I got mine done about 14 years ago, no advice about ice for the swelling and boy did it swell. It pulled the lower ball into the piercing and each morning my toung had started to heal over the ball and I would have to force it back out. But after a week I figured that this was not getting better, maybe the fact that I had to keep messing about wit it was preventing it from healing, well at least the swelling from subsiding. I returned to the piercing place and had an extended bar put in, finally the swelling went down. I kept it in for 5 or 6 years then decided to take it out.
    I got it done in a place in the Abbey mall

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The extended bar should have been put in initially tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ice cubed

The extended bar should have been put in initially tbh
    Aye, would have saved me a week of discomfort :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

When I got mine done the swelling lasted about 2 days, the guy gave me a bottle of antiseptic stuff to rinse around my mouth every few hours and I had no pain, no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

ive had mine done twice first time it was fairly forward bout 8 years ago took it out then but it back in again was still open! took it out a year and half ago. then about 5months ago i decieded to get it done again further back!!! neither time did it swell or anything! stung a bit for a day or two! one thing i would say is avoid dairy products they got sour in the wound and it really really badly smells and taste! by the 28th you will be able to drink!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement