Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire internet

Options
  • 20-10-2010 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

hey guys

i got a HTC Desire phone and im on the meteor plan. i got 2 questions

1. when i browse the internet and im finished is there an off function. usually im going back to the home page and in the advance task killer(application) it says its still running and i shut it off this way. there has to be an easier way?

2. i have 3g watchdog application on the phone, this sshows me what data i used on a daily bases while using the 3g internet. my question is that when i kill the internet as i stated in Question 1 the watchdog still shows that there is data being transmitted even when off. is this suppose to happen, can someone explain this to me? its only a little data but i would like to know why?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jjjade wrote: »
    1. when i browse the internet and im finished is there an off function. usually im going back to the home page and in the advance task killer(application) it says its still running and i shut it off this way. there has to be an easier way?

No there is no off function, as with all Android applications Android itself will kill the app when it deems it is no longer needed.

Simply stop (Menu > Stop) the browser if loading a page and exit via the home key.

I would advise against using a task manager, they cause more harm than good.

2. i have 3g watchdog application on the phone, this sshows me what data i used on a daily bases while using the 3g internet. my question is that when i kill the internet as i stated in Question 1 the watchdog still shows that there is data being transmitted even when off. is this suppose to happen, can someone explain this to me? its only a little data but i would like to know why?

Do you have background data turned on?

If so this would explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

there is a lot things running in the background, like syncing with facebook, weather, stock if you have it and many more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

thread moved to android forum. thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

hey guys

i got a HTC Desire phone and im on the meteor plan. i got 2 questions

thank you

The Desire has a widget (long click on home screen, choose widget, go down to settings and choose mobile network) to turn on / off the 3G. I find this saves loads of battery and you don't need to worry about 3G being used when you're unaware of it.

That way even if the app is running in the background it won't be using internet.

Some apps you can set to only use WiFi. Only really handy if you have access to a WiFi network but it's handy for some apps that pull down a lot of data.

Advertisement