Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fed up of smoking!

Options
  • 20-10-2010 9:21am

I've been smoking about 15 years, I'm 29. I just found in the last few months I smoke only because I get so cranky, moody and nasty when I don't. Most days I'd smoke about five, some days only two. I'm just so sick of the habit! No one around me smokes, and I don't really like smoking in public places, I feel overly conscious about the smoke blowing in other people's faces. I am constantly aware of the smell, taste, damage to skin and teeth, and overall damage to my health. I just can't seem to bite the bullet and stamp out those last few per day because I'm afraid of killing somebody! I quit a few years ago for three weeks, and I was hysterical and unable to control any emotions whatsoever. I worry about losing control like this again. I am not keen to try the medical route (Champix and whatnot) because I am prone to depression and mood swings.

Those who have quit cold turkey, did you suffer from mood wings, etc. and how long could you say they continued? They say the cravings peak at 3 days, right? But then there must be a continued phase of heightened cravings?

Those who used nicotine replacement - any advice? I did use this last time around, but because I smoke very little, I'd probably get sick.

Cutting back, does it ever work? Thought about trying to cut back to that one in the morning and last one in the evening, but the people I know who did this just gradually end up smoking the same as before, anyway.

While I feel ready to get rid of this habit for good, I just worry about the above...

I have smoked two this morning, I'm going to ride it out now for the rest of the day and see how it goes... will be fine until this evening when my boyfriend comes home and starts winding me up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

The Niquitin patches are the best, the clear ones, Although u will need one of those rolls clear plastic Bandage like plaster to hold the patch on you, if you're going to try them be sure to get the ones for 20 + a day smokers as these will give you more than enough nicotine and you will surely not be craving another cigarette while on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

I have been smoking for 13 years. And I Really wanted to stop. I've been trying patches, tablets , chewing gum , none of them actually worked. So then i came up with the idea that with every smoke I will convince myself that that taste horrible. And that worked. Took me about two months to stop smoking completely. Been of cigarettes for about three years now. sometimes I have occasional smoke,one or two packs , but then again I think about the way they taste, and just stop.

Luke G wrote: »
    The Niquitin patches are the best, the clear ones, Although u will need one of those rolls clear plastic Bandage like plaster to hold the patch on you, if you're going to try them be sure to get the ones for 20 + a day smokers as these will give you more than enough nicotine and you will surely not be craving another cigarette while on them.
    Thanks Luke, this isn't a very good option for me though since I only smoke about 5 a day, I'd wind up very sick on a patch like that!! I think the only nicotine replacement options for me are those that you can take when you need them (like the microtabs, lozenges, etc) because all the patches contain more nicotine a day than my body is used to.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 30 rocketjk

I gave up 5 days ago. Story identical to yours. Didnt think about giving up the day before i did as i knew i would begin to panic. Had last cig friday night 11pm and went to bed. When i got up i was already 8 hrs a non smoker. I bought a nictone inhaler as like you, i was a 5-7 a day. Great thing about inhaler is you only use it when you have a craving, for as long as you want apposed to a patch giving you a dose all the time its on. Cant believe how easy it was this time, only problem i have is trying to fall asleep and having to do with 5 hrs sleep but i suppose that will sort its self out in time. I use two pads in the inhaler a day 1 morning and eveing. I get the odd craving during the day but dont use it-just having the inhaler on me makes it easier if i need it i can use it but i dont. Biggest thing i had in giving up was the fear of not smoking again, but i say i have to give up sometime and i dont want to be that guy at 60 yrs old caughing my lungs up. Good luck..

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I have a load of Nicorette 2mg microtabs here, had them for some time now (my mother was inclined to give me these things in a very non-subtle hint). I think for now I will try to just ride it out, and they're on standby in case I go homosidal at some point. I can often go a day without smoking, but the following day, while I feel physically so much better for not smoking, is when the moods kick in.

I have a horrible feeling my boyfriend has already bought another load of fags from the guys at work, he mentioned it just the other day. Still, I do realise that just because they're here doesn't mean I have to smoke them.

Taking it one hour at a time so far :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement