Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FreeSat Options for a relative novice

Options
  • 19-10-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

I currently have UPC digital with their DVR option. While I love the pause live TV option that the DVR brings, the cost and very poor quality of the box itself has led me to believe that FreeSat is the way to go for me.

However, I'm still navigating my way through the myriad of options that seem to be available in the area. I'm wondering can someone point me in the right direction of a suitable FreeSat box for my needs? Basically I'm looking for a box that has the following:

1) capable of receiving FTA channels (obviously).
    2) has a decent EPG (I *think* that means I need FreeSat, right?)
    3) is capable of pausing live tv / record 'series link' in other words a PVR. Do I need an external hard drive, or is there a box that comes with one pre-installed?

I'm a little confused when it comes to receiving Irish terrestrial channels. I know DTT will use MPEG4, so I guess my 'ideal' box needs to support that too, but is DTT available now? If not, how can I continue to get RTE etc without UPC or Sky?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

The 'market leader' in terms of Freesat+ PVR's is the Humax Foxsat which receives BBC/ITV HD, employs a user friendly 7 or 8 day epg and allows recording 2 channels simultaneously etc on a built-in 320gb or 500gb hard drive.

It requires 2 cable feeds from your sat dish to allow dual recording or watch one channel/record another channel functionality.

Price has been as low as £209.00 on Amazon so keep an eye.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-FOXSAT-HDR-Freesat-Digital-Recorder/dp/B001L5YU36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287528686&sr=8-1

Sagem also make decent Freesat+ PVR's in 250gb, 320 & 500 and can be had used on ebay for approx £100GBP

A combi box will give you DTT/FTA but not sure this will provide decent epg on the FTA side, by no means an expert on these DTT/FTA boxes but there's info in the forum. DTT will be up end of this month in a technical/soft launch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

the humax is great for freesat,

however there isn't a box that will do freesat and the rte digital Yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

A HTPC is capable of giving you the combination of UK FTA and Irish channels but is not available off the shelf and not for novices.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Theres certainly a few options that seem available to me.

Regarding receiving DTT as well as FreeSat, is there not a box that can combin the two? i.e. receive an aerial signal as well as a Sat signal?

• Advertisement

cian_r wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. Theres certainly a few options that seem available to me.

Regarding receiving DTT as well as FreeSat, is there not a box that can combin the two? i.e. receive an aerial signal as well as a Sat signal?

there are boxes that will receive both and let you record, BUT they do NOT have automatic channels, and 7day epg.

Like this one

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

Thanks for the Info John mac.

The specs for the box you mentioned say: "7 day guide for Irish DTT and now/next guide for Satellite". So there is no box that will give a 7 day EPG for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

+1 for the Foxsat HDR.

Picked one up in Agros in Newry on Saturday and it really is quality. I have a few minor niggles, but for a novice it's perfect. Once you have 2 feeds from the dish it's a case of plugging in, giving it a UK postcode and letting it do a channel scan. From box to watching BBC HD was about 10 minutes for me. If you're moving from UPC you will need to get a dish installed with a dual/quad lnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The specs for the box you mentioned say: "7 day guide for Irish DTT and now/next guide for Satellite". So there is no box that will give a 7 day EPG for both?

Some of hte Linux combo ones will do it (with a lot of hacking) but it's not for a novice. TBH, I don't miss RTE.

not freesat, as stimpson said there are linux boxes that will do it but require a lot of tinkering and setting up, not for novice users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Can terrestrial channels be viewed through the humax foxsat box by inputing a signal from a rooftop aeriel thereby eliminating the need for a second remote controll etc or do you still need to use the tv's origonal remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

corkonion wrote: »
    Can terrestrial channels be viewed through the humax foxsat box by inputing a signal from a rooftop aeriel

No its satellite only

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement