Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android with front facing camera?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Right. I've been half searching for a new phone for a while now. I have an LG Renoir, it's a great phone really, it's just not well...smart enough.

Now I'd lover to get an Android phone, especially their ability to use flash appeals to me big style.

So I was looking at the HTC Desire HD and it looks great, BUT and this is important to me...it has no front facing camera. That would be important for me because I'd like to use it for video calling (using IM clients like Skype etc.) and thatd be pretty annoying without a front facing camera. Everything else about the phone is absolutely perfect.

So are there any very similar phones out there? The 8MP camera is essential, I love photography so having the ability to take a good photo wherever or whenever is pretty important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Android doesn't natively support front facing cameras, although fring can access it, i'm using a Dell Streak which has the front cam but it's not supported in the camera app'. And it's only got a 5mp camera, might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The Galaxy S has a front facing camera. The normal camera is 5MB, afaik. Probably plenty of others, but that's what I have.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Adro947 wrote: »
    The 8MP camera is essential, I love photography so having the ability to take a good photo wherever or whenever is pretty important.

Whilst i'm thinking about a Desire HD myself.......the camera appears to be mediocre at best.

noby wrote: »
    The Galaxy S has a front facing camera. The normal camera is 5MB, afaik. Probably plenty of others, but that's what I have.

Noby can you access the front cam in the camera app?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

gbob wrote: »
    Noby can you access the front cam in the camera app?

No I believe you can only use it in video or skype calls.

• Advertisement

Thanks.. that's what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

After further thought, I guess it doesn't matter that much. Once you can use some video calling app with the outer camera it's fine...I can always use a mirror. And video calls...well they've been dead for years. It's an amazing phone by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I don't think you can use the main camera for video calls?
    When I use fring anyway it won't let me video call without a front facing camera..

Dunno if that's a handset specific problem.. I'm on a nexus one..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

C-Shore wrote: »
    I don't think you can use the main camera for video calls?
    When I use fring anyway it won't let me video call without a front facing camera..

Dunno if that's a handset specific problem.. I'm on a nexus one..

I can, using sipdroid and my own app.

Advertisement