Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times being annoying has personally benefited you.

Options
  • 19-10-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

My student card fell apart last week. The replacement fee is 10 pounds. I knew this but I emailed my college asking for a replacement. When they told me I had to send a cheque I emailed arguing the fee was excessive and mentioned how 10 pounds could educate an African child for a year.

During the summer I booked a flat to live in for a year abroad. After I decided it was a bit of a sh*t flat I didn't pay up. A week later I was informed I would have to pay a E100 booking fee. Through a load of emails they gave up and said I didnt have to pay.

Last July I was doing a college assignment. I registered with a scientific journal site where you get 3 days access for free if you give your debit card details but cancel within 48 hours. I forgot to cancel and they debited $105 from my account.

Had a long email correspondence but they eventually agreed to refund $80

So from simply being annoying I saved a fair bit, none of those people had to give in. Mostly inspired by the spider email guy.

Any similar stories where you benefited from simply being annoying?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Once I pestered a girl so much she gave in and slept with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Iv often been a couple of cent short at the till - my argument is, you could let me off and il pay the next time im in (i never do :)) or i could leave all this stuff here and you will have to put each item it back on the shelf.

Always works :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Once I was given the title "Most annoying poster on Boards"

Does that count? I see it as an achievement anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

phasers wrote: »

Well Done!! - and there were so many candidates :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

No, not financially. That I can remember anyway.

But I was being bullied in work before & by being a sly b!tch & biding my time I eventually wiped the floor with the girl who was bullying me. The smug satisfaction I got from bringing her down a peg was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

phasers wrote: »

Does that count? I see it as an achievement anyway

Who gave you the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

A few years ago, my boyfriend dodged a huge library fine by going in with a load of copper coins and complaining how times were really tough for the family at the moment.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

easyeason3 wrote: »
    No, not financially. That I can remember anyway.

But I was being bullied in work before & by being a sly b!tch & biding my time I eventually wiped the floor with the girl who was bullying me. The smug satisfaction I got from bringing her down a peg was brilliant.

Was that in Easons by any chance easyeason

Bit of a detective me.;)

Like a poster above, also pestered a lady into agreeing to have sex with me.

Even got it half price :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

nommm wrote: »
    A few years ago, my boyfriend dodged a huge library fine by going in with a load of copper coins and complaining how times were really tough for the family at the moment.:pac:

A huge library fine ? What was it like 10shillings and sixpence or something ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

dubtom wrote: »
    Was that in Easons by any chance easyeason

Bit of a detective me.;)

No.
    My username came from looking around my sitting room & picking the first two words I saw & I stuck 3 at the end of it for luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My MIL is the queen of this.

She has annoyed Mothercare so much they gave me 10% off a €330 bill. They when one of the tyres of my sons buggy burst, she got them to replace the two back tyres with new wheels and all for free!!! They are worth €27 each!

Fierce embarrassing though, I usually walk off when she is talking to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

being annoying has never benefited me, just got me in more trouble :rolleyes:

but then i'm REALLY annoying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

As a child if I repeated please mum enough times she would usually give me money. However, this strategy doesnt seem to work in the adult world with other people. Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

My student card fell apart last week. The replacement fee is 10 pounds. I knew this but I emailed my college asking for a replacement. When they told me I had to send a cheque I emailed arguing the fee was excessive and mentioned how 10 pounds could educate an African child for a year.

During the summer I booked a flat to live in for a year abroad. After I decided it was a bit of a sh*t flat I didn't pay up. A week later I was informed I would have to pay a E100 booking fee. Through a load of emails they gave up and said I didnt have to pay.

Last July I was doing a college assignment. I registered with a scientific journal site where you get 3 days access for free if you give your debit card details but cancel within 48 hours. I forgot to cancel and they debited $105 from my account.

So from simply being annoying I saved a fair bit, none of those people had to give in. Mostly inspired by the spider email guy.

So you screwed over various people/companies for money that you rightly owed them. Go you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

PostHack wrote: »
    So you screwed over various people/companies for money that you rightly owed them. Go you!

10 pound fee for a replacement student card which faded/ fell apart is a joke. Might be a bit different if I'd lost it.

100fine for provisionally booking a room is insane

The journal thing I didn't cost them anything and made a mistake. meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

You didn't look after your student card, you didn't inspect the flat properly and you forgot to cancel your subscription.
    So from simply being annoying I saved a fair bit
    Spend less effort on being annoying and more effort on not being a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I farted once on the set of blue lagoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

I once got so agry that I shat diamonds. I'm so rich now that I pay people to sh*t for me

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

OP, you are a student, you were annoying long before you sent any of those emails :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

SugarHigh wrote: »
    You didn't look after your student card, you didn't inspect the flat properly and you forgot to cancel your subscription.
    Spend less effort on being annoying and more effort on not being a moron.

Hehe bitter much?

Did you pay a replacement fee for a card or do you work in customer services?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Sykk wrote: »
    I farted once on the set of blue lagoon.

*slaps face*

Advertisement