Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic mouse or wired apple mouse?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

hi all,i've skim read all the threads in this forum, but no one seems to have asked this question.maybe its stupid?!? I'm just about to purchase my first imac ( * 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 * 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB * 1TB Serial ATA Drive * ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM * 8x double-layer SuperDrive) ((nice, i know)) but i was wondering which mouse is better. The standard 'magic' mouse thats comes with, or the wired apple mouse, which is also available free instead of the magic mouse. Could you please tell me what the main differences are (if any) and which is the better option.I am a digital media student, and will be doing lots of imovies/iphoto/web developement/dreamweaver/audio projects etc over the next few years so if that makes it a better reason to get one or the other please advise.thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think you might be better going for the Magic Mouse. The wired mouse, formally known as the Mighty Mouse, is 5 years old at this stage and has some serious design problems that were never fixed. The scroll-ball on it works really well but requires almost constant maintenance (and clean hands) to keep it working. And even at that, it's likely to stop working eventually, or the annoyance will force you to replace it.

The newer Magic Mouse is modelled on the Macbook's multi-touch trackpad. It only has one physical button and detects left from right clicks based on the position of your finger. Reactions to it were generally positive, but it's not shaped like an ordinary mouse and can't be gripped in the same claw-like way. This takes some getting used to. It also lacks a middle button and has no buttons/triggers for activating Exposé, etc. All this probably makes it unsuitable for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I liked the Mighty Mouse (now called the Apple Mouse), but the issues that Sad Professor mentioned will eventually become annoying.

The Magic Mouse is a lot better, but it eats (rechargable) batteries, and causes unwanted awakening of the Mac. It also makes Google maps almost impossible to use.

My current device is the Magic Trackpad - light battery consumption, no waking, and all the gestures you want.

Each to his own, though, it's a very subjective thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

thanks for the quick replies guys.wow, I must say I'm a little bit annoyed that the better mouse has to use batteries.Is there no way to charge with usb? Maybe I'll just have to purchase a decent wired mouse with it. I really couldn't be bothered with a mouse I have to keep charging or buying batteries for. Ha, what happens when I'm in the middle of something and the battery dies.Apple fail if you ask me. I'll pop into the mac shop and have a gander at existing mice so. Might well have a look at the trackpad.thanks for the heads up.kudos.

If you buy the Apple battery charger and batteries, they do seem to last quite well in the Magic Mouse, and you can easily have a spare set to hand (that's what I have been doing for the last few years), but the waking issue was bugging me too much to continue with it.

Additionally, I have loads of extra Ni-MH batteries, but the Apple battery charger won't charge them (LED indicates they are unsupported batteries, even though they are the correct type) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Get the magic mouse. I got a mbp last week, if the mouse is anything like the trackpad, it worth the money. I love it dearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I have an iMac since June. Batteries only went earlier this week. It's the same as a normal mouse - without the cable constraints.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I have an iMac since June. Batteries only went earlier this week. It's the same as a normal mouse - without the cable constraints.

The (non-rechargable) lithium batteries that come with the mouse (and keyboard) are fine, and do last a good while, but when you use Ni-MH rechargables, I've found the Magic Mouse to be a lot 'hungrier' than the older wireless Mighty Mouse (now only available in wired version). I've also found that lesser-capacity Ni-MH batteries (less than 2000 mAh) don't work properly at all - when the percentage is still quite high (more than 30%) the Magic Mouse stops working, even though the LED still lights on the bottom. Only higher-capacity batteries (I have 2400 mAh ones) seem work properly, and even then, it isn't for as long as it used to be with the previous Mighty Mouse.

BTW, the current wireless keyboard works with any rechargable batteries and is much less power-hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I haven't used the magic mouse. But I hated the mighty one. Scroll wheel sucks and didn't like shape of the mouse either. I use a logitech mx revolution mouse with my iMac. Is Bluetooth so doesn't need USB dongle. Comes with docking station to recharge the built in lithium battery - best mouse I've ever seen or used by far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I didn't realise the MX Revolution had gone Bluetooth. Mine uses a USB dongle. Did you get that in the keyboard set? It doesn't appear to be available separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I use the Magic Mouse but switch it off when I shutdown, I think it has a sleep function like the keyboard but I still try to remember to switch it off anyway.

Don't forget that most rechargable batteries self-drain so even if you're not using the Mac, Ni-Mh batteries will run down. I have lots of rechargables (Lenmar 2700) but only use them in my GPS and camera flash, I reckon alkalines are probably better for the mouse and keyboard as they is zero discharge when they're not being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

+1 for the MX Revolution but AFAIK they've stopped making the MX Revolution altogether.

The wired Apple Mouse feels cheap and is made of plastic. The wireless mouse is way too flat and it gave me RSI. Consider what way you hold your mouse: do you grip it like a claw or use your fingers to move it? If you do the former you won't like the magic mouse. There's a good explanation about the various ways people hold mice on the Razer website (They also make good mouses).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Tony10 wrote: »
    thanks for the quick replies guys.wow, I must say I'm a little bit annoyed that the better mouse has to use batteries.Is there no way to charge with usb? Maybe I'll just have to purchase a decent wired mouse with it. I really couldn't be bothered with a mouse I have to keep charging or buying batteries for. Ha, what happens when I'm in the middle of something and the battery dies.Apple fail if you ask me. I'll pop into the mac shop and have a gander at existing mice so. Might well have a look at the trackpad.thanks for the heads up.kudos.

It's not practical for some people, it's hardly "fail." :rolleyes:

silvine wrote: »
    +1 for the MX Revolution but AFAIK they've stopped making the MX Revolution altogether.
    I think it was succeeded by the MX Performance, which lacks many of the Revolution's features.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I have that spec Mac in work. You'll love it!

I use a Mighty Mouse in work and at home for the mac mini and I love it. Apart from the lack of a middle click it's brilliant. Not sure why type 17 has a problem with Google maps - never had a problem.

Get the Apple AA charger and you'll get 4 spare batteries. The Apple supplied batteries are the new Eneloop type NiMh which means that they don't leak charge like ordinary NiMh and they come pre-charged and they give out a higher voltage for longer. Might be why hte charger won't charge bog standard NiMH's. My batteries last about a month in work or about 3 months at home, so it depends on useage. If you always have a set on charge you won't have a problem. Also, the Mac will warn you when batteries are low.

I'd skip the wireless keyboard for a desktop setup. It's great for using from the couch at home, but in work I prefer full size arrow keys.

I didn't realise the MX Revolution had gone Bluetooth. Mine uses a USB dongle. Did you get that in the keyboard set? It doesn't appear to be available separately.

Yeah SP I got it in a set with the keyboard. Think it's the MX5500. Got the set for a tenner brand new abroad :)

stimpson wrote: »
    Not sure why type 17 has a problem with Google maps - never had a problem.

For the record, I had the scroll turned on and, in Google Maps, scrolling zooms the map in or out madly - it's all too easy to zoom the map all over the place and difficult to avoid it.
    As it happens, I've stopped using the Magic Mouse due to the battery consumption and waking issues, but maybe it's been fixed by Apple (or Google) - either way, the trackpad is fine for me.

Details on Google help

Details in Apple discussions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I think it was succeeded by the MX Performance, which lacks many of the Revolution's features.

So I see. It's beyond me why they would take a great mouse and dumb it down. The Revolution is hard to get on eBay now but you can by batteries for it so hopefully I get a few more years out of mine.

Saying that if I had to get a new one, I'd go for a Razer mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Didn't really like my Magic Mouse. found it clumsy to use and heavy because of the batteries and used to get a sore hand after a day of using it. The day the Magic Trackpad was announced I ordered it and now using my iMac is just as enjoyable as using my Macbook! :)

Okay, great response, tx people. I've placed my order tonight, and i've opted for the Magic Mouse. Seems from majority here that it's the best one of the two options that come with mac as standard, so i'll give it a go and change it further down the road(or at least when i have some more cash lol) if it doesn't suit or cause's hassle.2 grand on this machine.better be brilliant :)thx again for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

throw it this way if you don't want it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

I think you might be better going for the Magic Mouse. The wired mouse, formally known as the Mighty Mouse, is 5 years old at this stage and has some serious design problems that were never fixed. The scroll-ball on it works really well but requires almost constant maintenance (and clean hands) to keep it working. And even at that, it's likely to stop working eventually, or the annoyance will force you to replace it.

The newer Magic Mouse is modelled on the Macbook's multi-touch trackpad. It only has one physical button and detects left from right clicks based on the position of your finger. Reactions to it were generally positive, but it's not shaped like an ordinary mouse and can't be gripped in the same claw-like way. This takes some getting used to. It also lacks a middle button and has no buttons/triggers for activating Exposé, etc. All this probably makes it unsuitable for gaming.
    you can download an app called magicprefs(free) saves into your system preferences and you can fully customise the magic mouse with pinch to zoom if you want it etc, or set a place to open expose (i have it just above the apple logo)
    http://magicprefs.com/

you can download an app called magicprefs(free) saves into your system preferences and you can fully customise the magic mouse with pinch to zoom if you want it etc, or set a place to open expose (i have it just above the apple logo)

That's fupping brilliant. I've missed having a centre button on the Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i would have seriously recomended the magic trackpad i have the magic mouse and the trackpad and the magic mouse just sits there unused 90% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Excellent app, thanks for posting that. :D

Guys, Thanks to your answers posted here, I decided to go with the Magic Mouse. Now its been 3.5 months since I purchased my imac and been using the magic mouse and I must say thats its fantastic.Simple to use, the scrolling 'trick' is a godsend and after messing around with the speed of scrolling options etc it is genius.I've a 27inch screen so it was taking 'effort' to get across the screen, but thats now sorted. Only little issue i have with it is that, as of yesterday, I'm on my 3rd set of batteries for it.Although maybe this has a lot to do with the fact i spend the guts of 10 hours a day on the computer, so it does actually last long enough.Anyways, thought i'd respond with my results seeming that you guys helped me out with the decision in the first place.Kudo's people,Kudo's.

Good stuff.

You should invest in 4 NiMH batteries and a charger! Will pay for itself.

Advertisement