Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in london?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm doing my Leaving cert this year and really would love to study in London next year. Unfortunatly,I'll only be 17 starting uni which in my opinion and my parent's opinion,is too young to be living on my own in a new city.
    My parents want me to study here so I've agreed to that but If I'm not happy in collage over here,can I transfer my studies to London(for the next year) or would I have to start a new course,all over again?
    Any experience with studying in London would be much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI & GB Colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'm doing my Leaving cert this year and really would love to study in London next year. Unfortunatly,I'll only be 17 starting uni which in my opinion and my parent's opinion,is too young to be living on my own in a new city.
    My parents want me to study here so I've agreed to that but If I'm not happy in collage over here,can I transfer my studies to London(for the next year) or would I have to start a new course,all over again?
    Any experience with studying in London would be much appreciated.

Expensive that's what it will be. I was 17 starting Uni, but that was Dublin before the recession and things were pretty hard then (paying €500/month etc...). If I were you, I'd go work in one of those English language schools (Embassy CES, EF etc...) in London for a summer to give you an idea of what it's like. It's not a cheap city and it's not a place you want to be in with no money (learned that one the hard way).

Would you consider anywhere else in the UK or are you set on London?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

My sister just started in London this year, she is living in the city centre near London Bridge , she is going to Kings. Accom is not overly expensive like its bout the same as accom in Dub, but I think she may have to rent a flat next year (accom isn't guaranteed) which will be expensive and she will have to move like 1 hour from the Uni... Living in London isn't as expensive as you would think!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PILOT

I started uni in London when i was 17, i was the youngest in a class of 40. Even though I was the youngest the fact that the Irish people have a better standard of education made up for this.....the experience of London is great but i find it really expensive.

The first expense of course is the tuition fees of over £3200 which im self funding.
    Im in west London and paying accommodation of £500 pm, last year i was in uni accommodation and was paying £4000 for the academic year. Add to that the cost of living and paying for flight it make London a lot more expensive that going to college in Dublin.

If i was to start college again i would defo go to Dublin, easier to go home at any time and that fact that you dont have to worry about currency fluctuations!

• Advertisement
Advertisement