Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British citizenship = student loan?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

I'm on work placement year but have final year to start in September.

Looks like my mums could lose her job and my dad's wouldn't be the safest either. So I'm pretty worried about funding myself that year.

I have a Grandmother born in Antrim so I could claim UK Citizenship

If I did this would I be entitled to a student loan from the Brit government? At present they only let me borrow to cover the fees.

Aside from going to republican hell are there any consequences/procedures I should know about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

They have a residency rule because of all the Commonwealth, former colonies etc. to stop their citizens and kids of expats arriving in the UK looking for funding. It 'may' have changed (I'm talking 2005 here) but I know there was no budging them on the rule for expat kids and it was a point of contention every year (again up to/around 2005). I use 2005 as my yardstick because that's when I applied for my funding.

In short, as far as I know, being British doesn't qualify you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I think you have to be resident in the UK for a certain period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mgsg27

I think you have to be resident in the UK for at least 3 years before applying for funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 StradBally

Apply to your local authority for a maintenance grant and find a part time job

Advertisement