Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projects for university students.

Options
  • 19-10-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys I'm the new project manager of Maynooths astro2 society. I am posting on this forum for inspiration, ideas and suggestions on group projects we can do this year.

These projects can be anything from small individual works that take a couple of days to massive year long projects (maybe longer). I dont know our budget for projects but I'm assuming its 500 euro (probably less damn you capitation committee). We have telescopes (4-8 inch i think), access to a lot of physics lab equipment and we would have little difficulty getting chemical supplies.

I have seen the 100,000 ft balloon camera and I am very impressed. possible idea to start off (our luck it ends up in the Irish sea).

TL;DR go mad with suggestions.

Thanks for any advice
    Conor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I came across this site recently, you might get some ideas here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

How about a telescope making project?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ecocrexis

Plug wrote: »
    How about a telescope making project?

I suggested that last week and we are going ahead with it. The fund to buy a new telescope has changed to a building fund. I think its close to 1000 euro's.

checking out the website suggested in this first post now.
    Thanks guys keep it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I'd suggest getting the students to build a small number of 6" scopes as personal scopes for themselves, then get them to use those techniques learned to do a joint effort for e.g. a 14"-16" dob for the society.
    Combine with some of the engineers and electronics guys for the build and control, make it a portable driven scope either with a EQ table or directly driving the axes.
    At some point in the future get (or build) a mallincam or equivalent low-lux camera for group display of items.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Just get a 20 inch mirror blank it and grind it down, sorted:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement