Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork book club?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Hey all!
    I see that this forum has a Dublin book club, and I was just wondering if there's anything similar for Cork? Or if not, would anyone be interested in starting one up? I'm new to the city and would love to meet some other literary types! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hey all!
    I see that this forum has a Dublin book club, and I was just wondering if there's anything similar for Cork? Or if not, would anyone be interested in starting one up? I'm new to the city and would love to meet some other literary types! :D

I would just like to compliment you on an awesome username. I'm baffled trying to visualise a pear on teletext. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I see you've found the one on the Cork Forum. Other than that, the independent book-store Vibes and Scribes operate a monthly book-club. Their website's currently down, but there may be information there when it's back. http://www.vibesandscribes.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Thanks for the advice, i'll keep an eye on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

I see you've found the one on the Cork Forum. Other than that, the independent book-store Vibes and Scribes operate a monthly book-club. Their website's currently down, but there may be information there when it's back. http://www.vibesandscribes.ie/

I've been to the last two book-club meetings at Vibes and Scribes (a shop I adore and where I once did work experience, many moons ago). In fact I am just back from the most recent one. Yes, the website is still down, but as far as I know the club meets at 7pm on the first Tuesday of every month. There's always a poster outside the shop anyway stating the book, time and date. And they sell next month's book at a discounted rate. It's a fun way to pass an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

stannis wrote: »
    I've been to the last two book-club meetings at Vibes and Scribes (a shop I adore and where I once did work experience, many moons ago). In fact I am just back from the most recent one. Yes, the website is still down, but as far as I know the club meets at 7pm on the first Tuesday of every month. There's always a poster outside the shop anyway stating the book, time and date. And they sell next month's book at a discounted rate. It's a fun way to pass an hour or two.

Hi I love vibes and scribes, but more for the crafty things. I read a lot and would like to go to one of these meetings. Can you please tell me what happens, is it just talking about the book from the previous month? And what type of books are chosen? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Hi I love vibes and scribes, but more for the crafty things. I read a lot and would like to go to one of these meetings. Can you please tell me what happens, is it just talking about the book from the previous month? And what type of books are chosen? Thanks.

Heya,
    A couple of us are trying to resurrect the book club over on the Cork forum; we're still kinda in the planning stage for the next meeting but if you're interested in coming along it's here :D

Cadyboo wrote: »

Well, you read the book of the month, then we all meet up at the shop on Bridge St at the time on the poster. One of the shop workers (who "chairs" the meeting) introduces us to the author and outline of the book. Then the floor is opened and we all discuss it freely! You can contribute as much or as little to the discussion as you like, there's no pressure and it's all in good fun. Apparently after the December meeting (I'll get all the details later today and post them for you) there will be free drinks at a nearby bar :)

Guys, the next meeting of the Vibes & Scribes book club is December 7th at 7pm. The book (which should be available in the shop for about €5) is The Glass Room by Simon Mawer.

Advertisement