Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long load screens, disconnects, crashes

Options
  • 19-10-2010 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it's just that the numbers of players have spiked or what, but I'm suffering lots of disconnects and long wait times trying to connect to realm servers since 4.0.1. Sometime I'll get a load screen but no progress bar, sometimes it'll get to 100% then sit there.

I've already defragged the the HDD, disabled all my addons, turned the gfx specs to minimum, and I'm currently running in the smallest windowed screen possible. Thinking of wiping the install and recreating everything from scratch to see if it makes a difference.

I've never had to tweak my network for Wow before, should I set up port forwarding on the router or anything like that?

And in the Headless Horseman instance, everytime I click on the pumpkin, Wow.exe spikes to 100% of my CPU, and I have to kill the task and restart. Is this a bug?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The game is seirously buggy at the moment according to alot of people I play with.

~Last night our server had a Q of over 500 which was a bit mad considering I hadnt seen Q's in a long time, will have to try again tonight to try get my dailies done.

I was having the same amount of crashes etc, and it was because I was using the stream option.

If you havnt finished the full download I'd advise you do, as its unplayable without letting the whole thing download.

There are instances where the game will crash according to the boys, but theres really no solution, its just the game is a bit messy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Turns out the Headless Horseman crash is a bug:
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/10/18/headless-horseman-pumpkin-shrine-crashes-game/

I'll clear the cache/interface/wtf folders this evening to see if it helps…

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

This is hands down the most rushed / buggy patch I have ever seen!!! It took me two days to patch (MD5 errors on random files so had to copy a mates patch) and then another day to sort out the bugs. I was getting graphical problems, the loading screen you had where it gets to 100% and just sits there, a few occasions I got a black screen when logged in. Twice it blue screened my computer as well which is never good.

I found a solution on the tech forums but not from a blue:

Open the World of Warcraft\WTF\config.wtf file in Wordpad and add the following line:
    SET fixedfunction “1″
    Save the file and try the game again.

(add it to the bottom of the code, not the top)

Original Link: http://dvotee.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/patch-4-0-1-blackblue-screen-fix/

I haven't had any graphical problems since. I did however have problems with legacy settings / variables in my WTF folder which caused a number of errors and even while running with no mods combat text would not display. So I had to delete the WTF folder and start afresh, just a tip screenshot your video settings beforehand it makes it a lot easier when you know what your settings were :)

I still get the random disconnects, a massive spamming error when I inspect someone but all errors / problems are now on Blizzards end thankfully!

Hope that helps someone out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

witless1 wrote: »
    SET fixedfunction “1″

If that helps you then it might point to your graphics drivers being out of date.

There's more info on it here http://www.wowwiki.com/CVar_fixedFunction

That's an interesting link all right, I actually updated my drivers to the most recent release (still outdated by a few months technically) and still had graphical problems which led me to finding the above blog. The restart after the driver update gave me random graphical problems like a portion of the screen going fuzzy, name plates going fuzzy that kind of thing. That led me to searching for the blog above and the one liner seemed to do the trick.

When the patch settles down I might remove it and see if it brings me back to a driver issue and hope that Nvidia has a more recent release available.

• Advertisement

You could try the latest beta drivers, have a look at http://downloads.guru3d.com/

I'm using the 260.89 drivers myself and find them grand.

That could be an option for a few weeks time but after 3 days battling errors the game is finally graphically stable and I will take that for now :)

*bookmarks page*

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Skcornnelg

Im wondering if anyone has had any frame rate issues?

Since the patch my frame rate has fallen drastically. When in Dal i now get about 5-7fps, before it was around 30. I removed all non raiding essential addons and have to put my in-game video settings to low.

One thing Ive noticed is that i cannot select the refresh rate of my monitor it is grayed at 70hz but my monitor is only 60hz.

Ive read some forums where people mention the WTF folder or game cache but I haven't a bog what they are talking about, I wouldn't be too keen on messing around with the game files in case i remove something I shouldn't.

I have updated my video driver and allowed the game to fully download. Curious if anyone has any suggestions.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

If your game is installed in C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft, then the fodlers you need to remove are :
    C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Cache
    C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF
    C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface

I gave up after being disconnected 3 times in a row in Orgrimmar. I've just lost interest at this stage…

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've had no issues whatsoever. Slight drop in framerate, but i just turned the shadows down a setting, and it's working perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,038 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Game takes slightly longer to load, but I assume thats my graphics settings. the new ultra settings take slighlty more oomph to begin rendering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

was doing the hh earlier, loading screen for instance then a disconnect haven't been able to log onto my main since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Removed atlas & atlasloot & it seemed to help a bit for me. But still lower than usual :(

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Druid was in Storm Peaks when i patched up on monday. Screen flashes black a few times then hangs my laptop.

Other chars on server worked fine. Had to get a GM to move him (into the middle of the sea by Org...)

Accidentally flew to SP with my rogue yesterday. same issue.

I had to go and patch a PC up so that i could use my rogue, as ive been waiting over 24hrs for a response to the GM ticket....

I had updated my Drivers on my laptop (Win7),, but they were the same as the previous.

Really gotta buy a new graphics card for my Desktop.....

Just turn all that shadow shít right down to low and you'll generally be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Skcornnelg wrote: »
    Im wondering if anyone has had any frame rate issues?

Since the patch my frame rate has fallen drastically. When in Dal i now get about 5-7fps, before it was around 30. I removed all non raiding essential addons and have to put my in-game video settings to low.

One thing Ive noticed is that i cannot select the refresh rate of my monitor it is grayed at 70hz but my monitor is only 60hz.

Ive read some forums where people mention the WTF folder or game cache but I haven't a bog what they are talking about, I wouldn't be too keen on messing around with the game files in case i remove something I shouldn't.

I have updated my video driver and allowed the game to fully download. Curious if anyone has any suggestions.

Cheers.

Im having the exact same problem in Dalaran and getting 9-13 FPS on a 5870 which was hitting 90+ FPS prior to the patch :(

Advertisement