Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can dogs watch tv?

Options
  • 18-10-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I suspect not ...

On a related topic ... Can dogs watch 3d tv ( if they made glasses to fit them)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

This may be the best question ever.

Octopuses can only see hdtv. Normal tv does not look real to them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmzfxFF5vDI

and no dogs like octopuses just see normal tv as a flicker
    http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/content/latest-questions/question/2668/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have an old CRT monitor it should be able to do 75Hz
    LCD monitors usually do 60Hz using them you could find out what frequency your dog doesn't get upset by the flicker.

Dogs should be able to see in 3D with the polarised light thingies if the TV is fast enough, but don't they have the same width of stereo vision that we have.

They might be able to see 3D with the old colour glasses, if the refresh rate was fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

interesting answer from cavedave, thanks for enlightening us.

my dad told me a while ago that dogs have an awareness of the tv or the radio being around them, but they can't properly tune in to them.

Well anytime there's animal sounds on the TV (or the laptop actually), my dog goes investigating the front and the back of the TV to see where the animal is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I have two dogs. One with both eyes brown and the other with one brown and one blue eye. I don't know if eye colour is connected in anyway, but my browned eyed dog totally ignores the tv, however, the dog with one blue eye reacts when he sees other animals on it. He runs up to the screen barking and going wild when he sees dogs, bears, or indeed anything that resembles a dog in any way. I turned the sound off to see if he was reacting to that as opposed to the pictures but he acted the same. He can definitely distiguish between things on the screen so he must be able to see more clearly than people are giving dogs credit for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

My parents’ Jack Russell took a great interest when certain things were on TV (both CRT and LCD), esp. dogs, cats and some other animals, sometimes barking and jumping at the screen. She also got way more excited than me about football; this could have been related to her manic obsession with footballs, although I don’t know whether she could actually see the ball and recognise it as such on the TV or was just responding to the little running men… I think most of the behaviour would occur even if the sound was off. In retrospect, it would have been interesting to test whether she could recognise static shapes or was responding to characteristic movements etc.

Advertisement