Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 18-10-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering if somebody could help me. I am trying to determine the cost of building a timber frame house to the roof, i.e. the frame and slating of the roof.

I have been given a price by a builder for a house in this condition and while I can determine the price of the site with planning I have no idea about the build cost involved so far. Also, I have a suspicion that this structure may have been in place during last winter, would I need to get some form of moisture test done or would the sleeving covering the wood protected it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi,

I am wondering if somebody could help me. I am trying to determine the cost of building a timber frame house to the roof, i.e. the frame and slating of the roof.

I have been given a price by a builder for a house in this condition and while I can determine the price of the site with planning I have no idea about the build cost involved so far. Also, I have a suspicion that this structure may have been in place during last winter, would I need to get some form of moisture test done or would the sleeving covering the wood protected it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ooh, I think we're going to see lot more of these types of questions, over the coming years.

A new TF can cost about 25/sq ft, erected.

I wouldn't be enamoured with a TF stood that long, tbh. The membranes involved are very susceptible to UV degradation, and ideally, walls need to be covered within 90 days, and roof's within 30.

Tread very, very, carefully.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Hi GalwayTT,

Thanks for your reply. There are no walls on this structure it is literally a frame with the only covering being the roof, would the price of 25/sq.ft still be applicable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

You can hire a moisture meter if you want and check it yourself. But it will be wasted money. If a timber frame has been openly exposed to the elements for that length of time then walk away...

..actually, run away!

The timber will have absorbed enough moisture to cause plenty of cracking in finishes over time (i.e once it starts to dry out and shrink). It may also lead to future rotting issues and will simply never be right. Wouldnt go near it mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..yeah, 25 (or possibly less, depending on the quality), per ft is what that probably cost. I did come across a cost once of 18 per sq ft, but I think that was an aberration tbh.......

If it's been open to the weather, well, I'm afraid I wouldn't put any value on it. There are simply too many variables, and things that might go wrong to have any great store in it. And what quality materials it's built from. Is there a sheated deck (first floor)? If so, what's that made of ? OSB? Ply ?

And, if it does prove to be not suitable, you'll actually have to pay someone to take it down............so that makes it worth even less !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

We haven't the benefit of having seen the frame. Does it come with certification to date?

• Advertisement
Advertisement