Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade stick.

Options
  • 18-10-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hello people,

I want to get an arcade stick for SSFIV, does anyone know where to get one in Ireland? I saw the Tekken 6 wireless arcade bundle, should I get that? I prefer not to purchase online. Also I wouldn't mind buying a second hand one off someone, as long as it's in good state.

Cheers!
    Kingbob.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Tekken 6 is ok, same quality as Hori EX2/Fighting Stick 3 but nicer case.

Personal favourite cheap stick is Madcatz Fightstick (aka SE), which can be modded down-the-road very easily.

"Best" commercial sticks are Madcatz Tournament Edition (TE) and Hori Real Arcade Pro (HRAP) series -- TEs are much easier to find here though.

You should never pay much more than about €60 for T6/EX2/SE, €110 for TE.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

I see, I wouldn't mind spooning 60e out of my pocket for a decent stick.

I can only find them online I wonder is anyone here selling one by anychance? I can meet in Dublin CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

You can get a Madcatz TE R2 which is arguably the best stick, uses actual arcade parts, and the Madcatz TE is the standard stick we all use at tournaments/casuals. They're €99 right now in HMV, which is a bargain.

Alternatively I've seen the Tekken 6 game and stick bundles going for €35/€40 in a lot of Gamestops. I have no idea as to the quality of the stick, although I imagine it's significantly poorer than the TE.

Although you would have a difference of €60 in your pocket to cushion the blow, and a sweet Tekken 6 disc to rest your cups of tea on.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

I've seen Hori EX2's go for €40 in Gamestops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

The wireless nature of the tekken stick could cause headaches at tournaments, some ban them (not in Ireland I think...)

If you want a cheap stick, I'd get the Hori EX/ fight stick 3 (xbox/ps3) I prefer it to the SE.

The SE is far easier to mod, but If you're gonna start modding etc, you'll probably plump just for the TE (in the first place.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Somebody here might sell a stick after the gamer expo tournament since there's two TE's as prizes.

emmm, that's canceled.

@Uberprinny, TE sticks, I saw 'em at HMV too, but they are for the Ps3 :/ I want a xbox stick.

@Gorysnake & Owwmykneecap Should I go for the Tori EX2 for 35e or 40 for the wireless stick with tekken 6? I wouldn't mind paying for the Ex2 if I get better expeirence with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

If you're deciding between those two I would go for the ex2. I started with one and they are not a bad stick at all for picking up the game - and are capable of being modded (not easy though). There's still a lot of people around here use but I've never seen anyone with the tekken 6, that says it all I suppose.

I see, thanks for the advice, I'll get a few more votes and I'll buy it on Saturday or something.

• Advertisement

Actually, you just never see a T6 stick because the T6 community all play on pad :P

K.O.Kiki what's your opinion on the Tekken 6 stick and Horis EX2? Which one is worth the investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

tekken stick is marginally better imo

Oh? I was afraid of the fact that it's wireless it might have lag, but that's just me worrying too much, yeah?

1 for EX2 1 for Tekken 6.

Best thing you could do is come to a casual meet/tournament and have a go on our sticks and see what you like.

Some people hate the EX2
    Some people hate the SE

Both these sticks are the "entry level" editions.

Here is a thread I started last year with some info on various sticks that may be of interest. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055554583

Ultimately you will get used to the idiosyncrasies of whatever stick you buy, I for one don't really like using someone elses stick, even when its the same model, as they all feel somewhat different.

Tekken stick might be better, but I don't know.

They're by the same company (Hori) AFAIK so all the microswitches for buttons/stick are the same.
    Modding for either means desoldering.

As a case though, I'd give the vote to the Tekken 6. Plus it's wireless, so that's cool.

@Owmykneecap I see, I might just go for the Tekken 6 one since it comes with a game and I can play wirelessly.

@K.O.kiki 1 EX2 2 Tekken 6, thanks for advice!

Lads I think I just got myself a bargain.

http://www.adverts.ie/312581

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

You certainly did. good man!!

Thanks! :P

• Advertisement

That was a bargain alright!! Although they aren't going for 99 in HMV (not the xbox ones). Having said that, it looks like it's a round 1 TE and so that's the right price to pay for one. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Iman its crazy, this time, 2 years ago , ireland didnt even sell sticks, there probably only 4-5 ppl in ireland proper sticks.

ITS CRAZY I TELL YOU, crazyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

And now you can just walk into Gamestops randomly and they just give them away.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Stylesclash, you've already posted about your TE once. Do not do so again as thats spamming and to be honest we already have far too many threads about this stuff.

Thanks.

Heh, thanks, I've never seen the 360 TE sticks' price in HMV, so I automatically think it's the same price.

kingbob387 wrote: »
    Heh, thanks, I've never seen the 360 TE sticks' price in HMV, so I automatically think it's the same price.

The 360 ones are always that bit more expensive (20-30 euro) because the manufacturers have to pay microsoft for the security chip on the controller. Ps3 doesn't have such security.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hi guys,

I am going to close this thread, trying to keep the place tidy.

If you want to continue the topic, please do so here.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement