Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question: Can I get BBC Radio with Sky TV via a coax cable?

Options
  • 18-10-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I am currently with UPC. I have TV in one room and radios in most other rooms.

I receive BBC Radio in those rooms by simply connecting a coax cable to the aerial on the radio. (All the coax cables end at a junction box in the garage where the UPC feed is connected)

I am about to switch to Sky. They say that they can run the cable from the satellite dish to my garage and connect it there to the coax cable leading to the TV in the living room. Great! :)

What I'd like to know is this: if the cable is split to the other coax cables in the garage, will I receive radio in the other rooms without the need for any kind of Sky box. In other words, just like with UPC?

I'm a total radio head and this is a big issue for me. But, the Sky helpline have been less than impressive on this issue. They haven't a clue. :confused:

Worst case scenario, I'll probably buy a few wifi radios. (I'm definitely switching from UPC to Sky. The lack of full HD and red button is driving me nuts!) But, I'd rather not have to.

Would be grateful for any feedback. ;)

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

No, you'll need a box in each location you want a radio.

You also can't "split" satellite cable - there will have to be a feed straight from the dish to each location.

Note: if you are keeping UPC for broadband only, then "unofficially" the analog radio function will still work as it does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

JDxtra,

Many thanks for the extremely prompt reply.

My broadband is with Eircom, but if you're sure that switching to UPC will guarantee me radio then that settles it.

Just to be clear, the UPC broadband would enter via the same cable? So, the radio signal would still be with it?

Thanks.

D.

Yes, it's the same cable. One thing to note is that if you only have broadband with UPC they charge an extra subsidy (€7.50/month I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have for R4 "FM".

spare Sat feed -> cheap Philex sat box -> €8 Heaiton "iTrip" type CE transmitter on Nokia 5V wall Charger -> Any FM radio in house, inc €2 portable or phones.

Costs nothing. You can do same with out of Sub Sky box (add dual RCA to 3.5mm jack and generic "itrip" under €10. The €60 ones are same quality.)

• Advertisement

JDxtra,

You have made my day! :D

Just cancelled Eircom broadband (and managed to sign up to a more suitable phone package while I was at it! :)) and am about to sign up to UPC broadband. Yes, it's €33 per month (Eircom was €30) but I can live with that to have radio.

Thanks again.

D.

ps. watty, You're talking Dutch to me! icon5.gif I assume you mean that if I attach some kind of transmitter to the Sky box it will send a signal throughout the house? How good is the reception?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I assume you mean that if I attach some kind of transmitter to the Sky box it will send a signal throughout the house? How good is the reception?

I do the exact same as watty said. Small triple A battery FM transmitter from Hong kong off ebay connected to the phono out sockets of an old sky box to send the sat radio stations around the house/garage/garden. I think the range I get is about 30m+. Just tune the transmitter to a freq not used by anything else.

Cheers guys.

I may come back to you on that radio solution.

For the moment, I'll stick with UPC.

Thanks again.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hi Guys

I have the UPC digital pack, in the attic I have a box with tv and radio connections, if I run cable from the radio connection in the attic to an FM radio can I tune in say BBC stations and 5 Live stations with the radio or how does it work.

Storm,

Yes, you can.

Just connect the wire to the radio's aerial and that it.

BBC3 is 92.3
    BBC4 is 96.35 (though I find 96.30 to be slightly better)
    BBC5 is 95.10
    BBC World Service is 97.1

It really is the best thing about UPC because it's painless and the quality is excellent. That's why I'm going to stay with them in part - I've just signed up for their broadband and will probably go for phone eventually.

The only reason I haven't switched entirely is because I have Eircom Phonewatch and I need their line for the monitoring. But, I will get a wireless dialer installed soon. Then I'll just have Sky for tv and UPC for everything else.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Dinarius wrote: »
    Storm,

Yes, you can.

Just connect the wire to the radio's aerial and that it.

BBC3 is 92.3
    BBC4 is 96.35 (though I find 96.30 to be slightly better)
    BBC5 is 95.10
    BBC World Service is 97.1

Is really is the best thing about UPC because it's painless and the quality is excellent. That's why I'm going to stay with them in part - I've just signed up for their broadband and will probably go for phone eventually.

The only reason I haven't switched entirely is because I have Eircom Phonewatch and I need their line for the monitoring. But, I will get a wireless dialer installed soon. Then I'll just have Sky for tv and UPC for everything else.

D.

Cheers Dinarius thanks for the info

Storm 10

Advertisement