Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire HD Battery Life look bad. Other options?

Options
  • 18-10-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

ok, according to the following review, the battery life is bad, as I kinda expected:
    http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/product-guide/view/87847/review/90031

I haven't had a chance to read the rest of the review, but getting less than a day is a deal-breaker for me.

That leaves me with the original Desire, or the Samsung Galaxy S.

Or is there anything else new coming along before xmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Galaxy S all the way, free sky sports for 12mts & Free Angry Birds, battery is ok, screen is fantastic and official 2.2 update out this week fingers crossed.
    Best phone i've ever had, I dumped the iphone for it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

mcbert wrote: »
    ok, according to the following review, the battery life is bad, as I kinda expected:
    http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/product-guide/view/87847/review/90031

I haven't had a chance to read the rest of the review, but getting less than a day is a deal-breaker for me.

What about the Desire Z?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Interesting review. I can't understand why HTC decided to put a lower capacity battery into the DHD when they knew it would be compared to the Desire and other phones of similar power, especially when it uses more power than those other devices. If it was to keep the cost of the handset down, surely it's a false economy and most people would be willing to pay a little extra if they made it plain that the extra was because of a bigger capacity battery.
    It's not really a deal breaker for me, because I have a chargers everywhere but it doesn't make much sense to me. I must be missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Desire HD contains newer and smaller components with less power usage so the smaller battery should keep it on par with the desire.Id say wait for a few more reviews before writing it off

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Yep, of course, Ill wait for more reviews, but the 3rd from bottom graph on page 4 of that review above is saying exactly what many have expected.

I think the Galaxy S is next in line for me... unless I want to wait another few months for the S2 ( taken with a big pinch of salt):
    http://worldwidegadget.blogspot.com/2010/10/upcoming-androids-samsung-i9200-galaxy.html?spref=gr#close=1

But if HTC get away with it on their Desire HD, maybe Samsung will try to reduce the battery on that one too... then Ill just be back to square 1.

Or yes, the Desire Z. Ill take another look at that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Galaxy S all the way, free sky sports for 12mts & Free Angry Birds,

I thought sky sports was free to subscribber anyway? & Angry Birds is free to most Android users - no need for the Galaxy S.

IMHO they are appalling - feels like they are made from plastic kinder egg inserts...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have the desire and the battery is truly shocking. Awful. I'm hoping putting a new rom on it which will improve things but really its still unacceptable. I thought the iPhone 3G was ok, but the iPhone 4 is way better. I love Android but I almost regret not getting it - the bad battery is a constant pain in the ass. Only way around it is to buy a few spares with docking chargers so at least you can swap out when you need to

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Interesting review. I can't understand why HTC decided to put a lower capacity battery into the DHD when they knew it would be compared to the Desire and other phones of similar power, especially when it uses more power than those other devices. I

Because people will want it anyway*.

..and instead of addressing the issue with new firmware, in six months time they can roll out a new model with better power consumption.

*including me :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

I still want CRAVE one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Galaxy S all the way, free sky sports for 12mts & Free Angry Birds, battery is ok, screen is fantastic and official 2.2 update out this week fingers crossed.
    Best phone i've ever had, I dumped the iphone for it;)

what has the galaxy s to do with Desire HD battery

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Nision wrote: »
    I still want CRAVE one.

I don't need it.

I just WANT it.

...and yeah, the Galaxy S is fairly tempting, but the lack of a flash on the camera is absolutely ridiculous.

Are LEDs really that expensive?

Even though 'mp' means nothing really, something more than 5 of them in this day and age would be nice too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

what has the galaxy s to do with Desire HD battery

drunkmonkey got his opening from the OP of this thread:
    mcbert wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

This will sort out your battery problem, comes with a different cover for the Desire too
    3200mAh battery, original one is just 1400uAh so thats a lot more capacity

hli-desirexl.jpg
    http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/mugen-power-extended-battery-for-htc-desire-a8181-with-battery-cover-in-brown-3200mah.html

A review of this battery
    http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/mugen-extended-battery-for-htc-desire-re
    The battery lasted 6 days and 14 hours (158 hours).

This is the weirdest article but seems to work
    HTC Desire battery life booster trick
    So here’s HTC’s advice on how to enhance your Desire’s battery, taken from an old XDA forum thread that’s recently taken off again:
    http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/08/htc-desire-battery-life-booster-trick/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

you wont be able to use extended batteries on desire hd because the battery slides in through the side rather than having a pop up cover

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yesterday I left work at 5pm with 75% battery left. I made 2 10 minute calls, and Again, the battery died during the night and my alarm failed to go off again this morning. I swapped for a freshly charged battery this morning, and without making any calls it seems to be at about 65% now. I'm almost thinking there might be something wrong with my phone..

I did get rid of task killer, maybe I should put it back on...

Advertisement