Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Link

Options
  • 18-10-2010 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered here 100's of times.

I bought a product called "Remote Link" Hooked it up to 20metres of Coaxial cable and then inserted it into the RF2 output on the back of the SkyHD box. Then I went into the settings and set the RF output power to on.

The problem I have is that I can see the Sky channels on the TV upstairs but the Remote Link will not power up. So therefore I can't change the channels on the upstairs TV.

Has anyone got any ideas what to do before the missus gets papers for the divorce.

Cheers

Gar

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

GarHef wrote: »
    Sorry if this question has been asked and answered here 100's of times.

I bought a product called "Remote Link" Hooked it up to 20metres of Coaxial cable and then inserted it into the RF2 output on the back of the SkyHD box. Then I went into the settings and set the RF output power to on.

The problem I have is that I can see the Sky channels on the TV upstairs but the Remote Link will not power up. So therefore I can't change the channels on the upstairs TV.

Has anyone got any ideas what to do before the missus gets papers for the divorce.

Cheers

Gar

is there a red light on the remote link? if you don't see one, look for something that looks like it should be a red LED, and if it's there but not on it means the remote link isn't getting power. a lot of the standard faceplates used in houses have a capacitor built into the faceplate which stops the power for the remote link getting through, i ended up having to change mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GarHef

Cheers for that info. I have a little red light LED on the Remote Link box but that doesn't light up. Not sure what you mean about faceplates and capacitors? I have the cable simply running straight from HD box and straight to TV upstairs. The remote link is at the end of the cable and then into TV upstairs

Cheers

Gar

Cheers for that info. I have a little red light LED on the Remote Link box but that doesn't light up. Not sure what you mean about faceplates and capacitors? I have the cable simply running straight from HD box and straight to TV upstairs. The remote link is at the end of the cable and then into TV upstairs

Cheers

Gar

is the cable going directly from the sky box to the remote link? i.e. it's not going through any standard aerial faceplates on the wall?

Yeah straight through to the other telly. No faceplate. Box to box and cable running from one to the other. I just folled the instructions on the Remote Link diagram.

Cheers

Gar

okay, if no red light, then 1 of two problems

remote link not working

sky box not putting out 9V.

don't suppose you have a multimeter?

• Advertisement

I can get a loan of a multimetre. On the back of the Sky HD box there are 2 RF output connectors. I have it in the one on the right. It says 9v underneath the socket. I though when you go to settings and switch the power output on, it should power up the Remote link.

Engines are my thing, not electrics.

Thanks for the help by the way

Gar

I can get a loan of a multimetre. On the back of the Sky HD box there are 2 RF output connectors. I have it in the one on the right. It says 9v underneath the socket. I though when you go to settings and switch the power output on, it should power up the Remote link.

Engines are my thing, not electrics.

Thanks for the help by the way

Gar

it should power up the magic link, which is why i am worried the red light is not on...

can you plus the remote link directly into the back of the sky box and see if it turns on?

I'll try that tonight when I get home. I'll just push the remote straight into the back of the HD Box and see if it powers up. If it doesn't light up the red light I can take it that the remote link is knackered.

I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks again for your help

Gar

I'll try that tonight when I get home. I'll just push the remote straight into the back of the HD Box and see if it powers up. If it doesn't light up the red light I can take it that the remote link is knackered.

I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks again for your help

Gar

that, or check that the rf power out is actually on, sometimes with the sky box it doesn't save the changes you made, you have to confirm with teh green button, so worth checking that too

Well got home last night and never got a loan of the multimetre. Anyway I put the remote link directly into the back of the HD box and turned on the the RF output in the settings. Pressed green button to save settings and the link led light still didn't come on.

I think the link is not working.

Ballacks!

Gar

• Advertisement

Well got home last night and never got a loan of the multimetre. Anyway I put the remote link directly into the back of the HD box and turned on the the RF output in the settings. Pressed green button to save settings and the link led light still didn't come on.

I think the link is not working.

Ballacks!

Gar

would be good to confirm there is 9v there when you switch on the power, try and get a loan of the multimeter if you can

Yeah that's my last resort. My sparks mate was out last night. So I'll get it tonight off him.

Fingers crossed

Cheers again

Gar

Just to let you know I got the link working. It turned out a small plastic sleeve on the connector was stopping the circuit. Pushed it back and working away now

Cheers for all the help

Gar

Advertisement