Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who was more impressive on Saturday? Leinster or Munster?

Options
  • 18-10-2010 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Not trying to do any cage rattling or getting into shouting matches with anyone. Just a serious question.

First for full disclosure I'm a Leinster season ticket holder for the last 4 years so I know which side I'm on.

I thought Munster were excellent on Saturday, it was a must win for them and they showed a lot of character. Especially having concede the try so early. Looking at the highlights again on Sunday Toulon weren't as out of it as the scoreline suggested and played well in places but Munster really dominated them. In saying that every scrum I saw where Toulon brought pressure you had Tony Buckley popping up which should have drawn a lot more penalties. He's handy in the loose but Toulon should have looked to target the scrum more once they saw they had the upper hand.

Leinster meanwhile had a massive away win in a group that won't feature too many of those. If you'd offered them a 25 23 win on Saturday morning they'd have taken it but it was a real pity when Leinster had them 22 11 at one point before letting Sarries back into it. Saracens were quite limited towards the end. Very much like England a couple of years ago against Scotland and Wales, when they just get bashing it up either side of the ruck without any great invention.
    In saying that this was a game that Leinster could have easily lost, again Saracens scored first and they've a great record in Wembley, they even beat South Africa there.

Not really sure what I think myself about the question so interested to hear other opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Irrelevant really. Both teams won and thats what matters. One away against one of the fancies teams impressively and the other at home impressively against the United Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Personally, both teams applied themselves very well to two different gameplans. These gameplans were chosen mostly because of the respective referees.

In the Munster game, Barnes was decent. He allowed the game to flow and gave the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team, allowing for some enjoyable running rugby.

Leinster, however, had to put up with Berdos, a ref who seemed to be worse than any number 7 at slowing the game down with his whistle. Both teams didn't want to hold onto the ball as he was penalising anything. Leinster's defense won them the game.

As for who was more impressive, I would say Munster, but only because after the previous week's performances, they were the ones who improved most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Leinster's win was probably more important, as it was away from home. Munster obviously played very well. A good weekend for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭782378

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

To win away is the better achievement in the Heineken Cup as it happens so rarely.
    A Bonus point win in Thomond for Munster is par for the course really.

Disclaimer - neither Saracens or Toulon are experienced European teams like Toulouse, Clermont, Biarritz, Leicester so neither team should get too carried away, the real battles (CLermont and Ospreys lie ahead).

• Advertisement

It doesnt help that, for a neutral, the Leinster game made for some tedious watching.

i hate leinster.

But you love your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i'd have to say Munster were far more impressive, given they were poor in 2 prior matches they were facing an in form french side is a must win game..excellent performance, the pack completely dominated Toulon.

Leinster were good, however i thought sarries were so limited in their game plan, all muscle and no guile, playing in wembley was an advantage to Leinster as it removed the home advantage for Sarries. Berdos was a pain in the a@@ as a ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It's probably better to take the last two weekends into account. Both had very impressive home wins against moneybags French teams, then Leinster managed to dog out a win in England, but Munster were worse against London Irish.

Overall Leinster slightly ahead, but plenty of evidence that Munster are getting their act together.

Long way to go for both, but looking ok for quarter finals...

Racing probably have done Leinster a big favour. Now a home win against Clermont would be group wrapped up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

buck65 wrote: »
    Racing probably have done Leinster a big favour. Now a home win against Clermont would be group wrapped up.

Not really, no.

buck65 wrote: »

Would have done us an even greater favour if they prevented a Clermont losing BP :/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭phog

Most impressive on Saturday?

Has to be Munster but in the overall view of the group stages both wins were impressive and important.

Munster needed that win to be incontention and a BP win got them to the top of the table. Preventing a BP loss to Toulon might stand to Munste ryet.

Leinster, well winning away from home is always a hard task, usually, the team that can win 2 of their 3 away games and all their home games will make a home Q/F so it's looking goidd for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think you do have to look at both weeks really. Both Leinster and Munster have faced top class French outfits at home and won comfortably. That said both French sides looked fairly lethargic at times. It's obvious neither side are taking the HEC too seriously and are obviously targeting the Top 14. That's not to take anything away from either Munster or Leinster. To run in 5 or 6 tries against that opposition is nothing to be sneezed at.

Both teams have gone away from home against decent English opposition. Leinster won where Munster lost (although Leinster did have the easier draw there). Both teams have faced stiff criticism this season and have come back the stronger for it. Looking at it both of us are having very similar seasons and most importantly both are going the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭seanin4711

and it was friday,btw!!!:D

Connacht's win was up there alright , Bayonne are a decent side.

Advertisement