Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Converted Attic Ceiling Insulation Query

Options
  • 18-10-2010 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

My attic is converted (as many of you will know by now!) and it has a plasterboard ceiling. The rafters are 110mm. I had the tiles and felt removed, 100mm of Metac insulation put in from outside and had it covered with a breathable membrane before replacing the tiles.

The insulation is almost filling the gap fully but I'm thinking of putting 20mm of Thermapitch TP10 underneath the Metac. I could cut it and slide it up underneath it from the crawl space. http://idevelop.ie/iproducts/productinfo.php?Product=197&prodgroup=39&display=

I'm wondering if it could cause a condensation/dampness problem for me because it's foil backed on both sides and my plasterboard ceiling isn't foil backed. Also, it would probably mean that the 100mm of Metac would be slightly compressed. I don't have enough head height to put up a thin insulated plasterboard slab on the inside of the room.

Should I go ahead with the TP10 or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement