Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise for buying monitors

Options
  • 17-10-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to buy a set of active nearfield monitors and my price limit is about 200euro. I'm just starting out so i don't want to spend more than this right now. I've been looking at thomann's selection:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/cat_PG_2.html?gf=active_nearfield_monitors&oa=pra

In particular i was thinking of either:
    samson resolve a5 : http://www.thomann.de/ie/samson_resolv_a5.htm
    OR
    samson studio gt : http://www.thomann.de/ie/samson_studio_gt.htm

The 2nd one has the advantage of an inbuilt audio interface which i'll probably need to buy at some point anyway.

Does anybody have experience of either of these models? Whats the sound like... and would i be better going to a shop and buying there so that i can have a listen before i buy?

Any advice is much appreciated...

I'll be using these for production using ableton or Reason and also general listening to mp3s...

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

splitrmx wrote: »
    Indeed, as entry level monitors these are great. I bought these, spent ages listening to reference tracks, getting the room somewhat right before using them in anger and was very happy with the investment. They aint going to be as good as pro monitors but nothing to be embarrassed about having in your room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

if you're going for the alesis i would strongly advise stuffing the sub ports with socks. while they sound very nice to listen to, you're mixes will always translate very bass light due to the hyped low end messing with your perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Thanks for the recommendation but unfortunately i can't afford the Alesis... 200euro is all i can manage at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

That EUR200 bracket for monitors is to fill a perceived need in the market, it's not going to get you decent monitoring. IMO you're better off with a good set of headphones if you don't have them already. Sennheiser HD25 II BE are superb and within your budget.

Look out for used Alesis, or any of the Tannoys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Paulj wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation but unfortunately i can't afford the Alesis... 200euro is all i can manage at the moment :(

in that case my honest advice is either save up until you can afford 500+ price range or go with quality headphones as MT suggested.

cheap monitors will do your mixing a lot more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Fair enough, might just stick with the headphones so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Im pretty sure this has been brought up before but would it be a good solution to get 1 monitor?

Can you mixdown on a single monitor while you save for the other one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

man buy a decent set of headphones for around 100 quid, keep the other 100 in the bank and start saving for decent monitors, monitors and a decent audio card are two areas where you don't want to do it cheaply!

seannash wrote: »
    Im pretty sure this has been brought up before but would it be a good solution to get 1 monitor?

Can you mixdown on a single monitor while you save for the other one?
    Nope. Stereo reproduction is totally different to mono. The timbre depends in a large part on where it is in the stereo image. Anyone can verify that, just playback a good stereo mix and switch it to mono, back and forth, and hear how the top end rolls off in mono. And equally, stereo gives a super illusion of depth, mono is so bad at that we might as well say it has no depth at all.

PS Please don't say mono has depth unless you've actually experienced genuinely accurate stereo imaging- the only way to hear that is in a properly treated room with good speakers (or suspended off a 30 foot crane in the middle of a field). It's amazing how good music sounds in a good room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

madtheory wrote: »
    Nope. Stereo reproduction is totally different to mono. The timbre depends in a large part on where it is in the stereo image. Anyone can verify that, just playback a good stereo mix and switch it to mono, back and forth, and hear how the top end rolls off in mono. And equally, stereo gives a super illusion of depth, mono is so bad at that we might as well say it has no depth at all.

PS Please don't say mono has depth unless you've actually experienced genuinely accurate stereo imaging- the only way to hear that is in a properly treated room with good speakers (or suspended off a 30 foot crane in the middle of a field). It's amazing how good music sounds in a good room.
    Cool i was just wondering if it was possible

Well the crane can be expensive but it's good clean fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Saving a bit more and getting into the Yamaha HS series territory would be a good bet.

In the long run it would work out better that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

I have a set of samson rubicon r6a €150 brand new still in the box

You interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Buy a 200 quid set of headphones, or wait and spend more on monitors and then acoustic treatment as the monitors arnt worth jack unless the room is treated.

Advertisement